Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outlook 2010 and roaming profiles issue

Re: Outlook 2010 and roaming profiles issue

Hi Bobby,
    I was getting mutiple backups of the Outlook profile in the registry at one point too. The cause was loading outlook as follows;

Outlook /importprf outlook.prf

with the outlook profile set to update rather than overwrite the existing profile. The solution below does away with the import prf in normal use.

In Zenworks, I have 2 application objects [Outlook] and [Outlook - Delete Profile] The latter is an application dependency of the former. The execution in order is;

[Delete Outlook Profile]
    * Distribute Registry
    Delete - [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles]

[Outlook]
    * Pre Launch Script
    call w:\pcupdate\office2010\zenworks\profile\import.bat
    call w:\pcupdate\office2010\zenworks\signature\create.bat
    (see below for contents)

* Distribution Registry
    [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\General]
    "ShowFirstRunOption=0x00000001"
    (Stops Outlook asking user about updates)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook\9375CFF0413111d3B88A00104B2A6676\00000001]
    "New Signature= (copy from your own registry)"
    "Reply-Forward Signature= (copy from yoru own registry)
    (These settings configure which signature file to use automatically)

* Run Options - Application
    Outlook.exe

* Post launch Script
    call w:\pcupdate\office2010\zenworks\profile\export.bat

----

Batch File Contents;

*EXPORT.BAT
    @Echo off
    cls
    Echo Exporting Outlook Profile
    regedit /e h:\outlook\profile.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles"

--
    *IMPORT.BAT
    @echo off
    cls
    echo Importing Current Outlook Profile
    regedit /s h:\outlook\profile.reg
    regedit /s w:\pcupdate\office2010\zenworks\profile\mandatory.reg

if exist "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Microsoft Outlook.lnk" del "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Microsoft Outlook.lnk"

REM * Note mandatory.reg overwrites the users profile with settings common to the compnay. Used where group policy options not available. Can also be included in *Distribution Registry

--
    *CREATE.BAT - Creates Signature File
    Echo off
    cls

IG

w:
    cd \pcupdate\office2010\zenworks\signature\

c:
    cd "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\"
    if not exist Signature_files md Signature_files

h:
    cd \
    if not exist Outlook md Outlook
    cd \Outlook

Rem ** Delete existing signature files in case user modified;
    if exist c:"%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\*.htm" del c:"%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\*.htm" /q
    if exist c:"%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\*.rtf" del c:"%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\*.rtf" /q
    if exist c:"%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\*.txt" del c:"%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\*.txt" /q

rem * Inhibit signature if required
    if exist inhibitsig goto ENDSIG

ECHO. > Full_Name
    if NOT "%Full_Name%"=="" echo %Full_Name% > Full_Name

ECHO. > Title
    if NOT "%Title%"=="" echo %Title% > Title

ECHO. > Tel
    if NOT "%Tel%"=="" echo %Tel% > Tel

echo CompanyName Limited > CompanyName

copy w:start+w:bold_on+Full_Name+w:bold_off+w:break+Title+w:break+CompanyName+w:break+Tel+w:break+w:break +w:ComanyName.html signature.htm > nul
    copy signature.htm "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\"

xcopy wignature_files cignature_files /e/s /y

:ENDSIG

--

Hope this helps

Just reading the Microsoft note somone posted. Microsoft recommend not configuring cached exchanged mode.

Our Mailserver is offsite so for performance I need to have cached exchange mode configured on. Outlook OST files are stored in the users home directory and this is working well.

This is a 'Not Supported' setting.

To effect it use;

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Outlook]
    "ForceOSTPath=H:\Outlook"
    "ForcePSTPath=H:\Outlook"

There are options in the .prf profile to redirect these items and the addressbook here too. I found it necessary to make the entries both in the registry and in the profile

My Outlook 2010 is unable to send any mails from my company web site. I recently changed ISP from UPC to Tele2 (in the Netherlands) and Tele2 no longer supports port 25 for out going Emails. They suggest port 587 but after 3 days varying all the parameters over and over again and deleting my account and re-installing it - still it will not work or the account test OK. Changing back to UPC as my ISP it works Ok again but that service will be stopped soon.

Roaming!! I cannot even get my Email working from a fixed position and the Tele2 helpdesk says they cannot help as they do not have Outlook 2010.

Any Ideas? Must I quit with this ISP (Tele2) as unworkable?

Hope someone has an idea - I ran out - Colin Clayton

Hi Colin,
    This problem is wholly unrelated to this thread.

however

Most ISP block port 25 if your IP address is dynamic (for reasons related to spam)

Ask Tele2 if the will open port 25 if you pay extra for a static IP address?

Otherwise consider changing to an ISP that does support port 25 if you have a static IP

If your companies mail server (not web server) only listens for SMTP traffic on port 25 then there is nothing you can do in outlook to change this, the changes have to be made on the mail server first before you can try port 587 in outlook.

Is the company using Microsoft Exchange? If so, reconfigure to use Outlook anywhere rather than whatever you are using at the moment (POP3 or IMAP?) Outlook anywhere doesn't use port 25 for outgoing email, check with your companies IT department about what settings you need for this.

If all else fails you could resort to using a GMail account to impersonate your work account, but for lots of compliance reasons that is not a great idea

Dear Invangill - I apologise for coming in off track but I am very thankful for your help. My colleague has full control of the server, so thanks to you I can ask him to reconfigure it slightly. Is it easy to open up port 587 for the outgoing server? - I appreciate your help. Thanks a million!! Colin

Quote Originally Posted by colinclayton89 View Post
    Dear Invangill - I apologise for coming in off track but I am very thankful for your help. My colleague has full control of the server, so thanks to you I can ask him to reconfigure it slightly. Is it easy to open up port 587 for the outgoing server? - I appreciate your help. Thanks a million!! Colin
    You can go to Microsoft Outlook 2010 and from the Tools menu select Account Settings. After that select your account under the E-mail tab, then click Change button. The Internet E-mail Settings dialog box appears, showing the settings for your existing account. Click the More Settings button. Go to Advanced tab, under Outgoing server (SMTP), change port 25 to 587 and click ok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12