Thread: W520 and Intel 510 SSD not Reboot properly

W520 and Intel 510 SSD not Reboot properly

I have a W520 and have installed a new Intel 510 SSD. I did a Proper reinstall of windows 7 64 bit and everything appeared to be working fine until I attempted to reboot. Reboot will hang indefinitely but, strangely, if I do a complete shutdown an then power it up from a shutdown state, it boots fine. If I attempt a restart, and wait for it for a long timeframe, it appears to hang on of issues, ThinkPad active protection diagnostics or an Intel boot agent error. I have reseated the new drive thrice and reinstalled windows two times to no avail. Smells like a bios issue to me. Firmware update on it is way to solve this? My thoughts were that either there is something in the BIOS that is messed which I cannot troubleshoot or that the BIOS is trying to boot from a LAN or other network source despite the settings telling it otherwise. Anyone else having this issue and if so how did you solve it?!? Thanks, I am at the finish of my rope here.

re: W520 and Intel 510 SSD not Reboot properly

I do and will give it shot before I RMA the drive but it seems unusual that the Intel SSD toolbox says the drive is functioning properly. I could be wrong here, as happens most of the time, but I think that there is something wrong with the drive and a new will automatically solve the issue or, more likely, there is an issue with the bios or motherboard that is stopping the laptop computer from seeing the drive on restart. It appeared to be a widely known issue on the sand force based drives but I didn't think that the Intel SSD was seeing the same issue. There's some reviews with me exact configuration so I would guess it is compatible.

We're working with the 510's in RAID on the W520 right now. We have not seen this issue, but will play around some more with the 510's to see if they can replicate. Yea they have been through probably 20-30 boot cycles on the 510 in the work of that testing phase, & haven't run in to issues with it. Could you confirm the BIOS version on your laptop computer & the firmware version of the SSD 510? Also what was your installation technique? Did you clone from the original drive or do a neat install?

Intel had a firmware update for these drives in January which I thought would have been on my drive since I received it two days ago but perhaps that was a poor assumption - I assumed that the Intel SSD Toolbox would have noted that the firmware was elderly which it didn't. In terms of your testing phase, I assume you tested with the single drive, not the RAID configuration? Thanks again for your help, I am thinking that at this point the best work of action would be to flash the firmware on the SSD (if it is dated) & see if that solves the issue. If not, I suppose I push harder with Lenovo, I think their attitude is in the event that they didn't sell it to you it is your issue but in this case (given that you haven't had the issue) it *is* or ought to be their issue.

Is this with a Tidy Install of Windows 7 or by Recovery Disk? Have you also installed the latest Intel RST drivers with it? Ah cloning application can be a bit dodgy, migrating from a HDD to SSD. You may require checking the partition alignment using this tool. If it still plays up I would recommend using the Recovery Discs in lieu, I haven't encountered any troubles when I did a check recovery on my spare SSD.

As you told that your system freezes as soon as you re start your system and is working fine when you’re doing normal shut down, I think this could be the reason of a cracked version installation of windows, or improper done installation. That’s the reason cracked installation is never recommended as it causes a lot of issues. You can check if you have installed a genuine version of Windows. If that’s not the problem than you can always blame the virus, Trojans for all the faults in our system, run a virus check and if it still doesn’t resolve do a new installation..