Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 with RAID-0 array is faling to boot Grub command line

Ubuntu 11.04 with RAID-0 array is faling to boot Grub command line

Well I am looking to have dual boot system with the Windows 7 and ubuntu. I am having RAID 0 array as well as a hard disk of 500 GB. I have successfully installed Windows 7 on the system but I was having an issue with installing ubuntu. There is lots of error message while doing the same. i am suspecting that there is an issue with the RAID array which you have installed on the system. Let me know if you are having any useful suggestion to get the requirement of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 with RAID-0 array is faling to boot Grub command line

As far as I know the Grub is having an ability to boot through the RAID controller. Why I am saying because I was having the same on the system of mine. I am suspecting that there is an issue with the ubuntu which you are looking to install on the system of yours. I recommend that you should simply run with the Live CD and see whether you are able to see partition or not. I don’t think so there is any issue with the Grub.

I think ubuntu is not using RAID software than that of the RAID controller. According to me software RAID can work with the Ubuntu which you have installed or it can be work with any kind of the controller. It is quite faster than that of the hardware RAID controller. We are not going to have many drivers on Grub hence it is not using the RAID controller into the RAID mode. So I think you have figure out the thing which I have mentioned over here.

I let you know that the RAID controller into RAID mode would require more specific kind of drivers. If you have put the controller into the normal mode the Linux which you have installed on the system would see the drives and it would create an array of the 2 Drives. Grub is having limited capability I mean it can boot the drives if it is aware of the controller. If you are having an on board controller than I think it would be impossible to work with it. also on board controller are not supported with the Linux based operating system.

In order to get the requirement of yours I recommend that you should go for Fake RAID. You know that the hardware for the RAID controller is quite expensive hence many of the motherboard manufacturer are providing multi channel controller which is having special BIOS features to get a RAID. It is a kind of a software RAID by using specific kind of Drivers and it not necessary that it would be faster than that of the Software RAID.

Looking at the situation I am suggesting following steps which you should try to fix the matter of yours and see whether it is working or not.
    • Boot your system by using Live CD.
    • Now launch the terminal as super user and enter Grub on the terminal. You have to enter following on the Grub prompt.
    • Code:
      find /boot/grub/stage1
    • now enter following lines
    • Code:
      root (hd0,3)
    • and then you have to enter following one
    • Code:
      setup (hd0,3)
    • finally you have enter quite on the terminal and simply restart the system and remove the CD.