Thread: How to transfer files between user accounts

How to transfer files between user accounts

I’m using windows XP and I recently created a new account. Now I have multiple users on my PC. The files and applications in default user account are not displayed in the other accounts which have been created. I want to transfer many of the files in the new user account. How can I transfer all these files? Will it require software?

Re: How to transfer files between user accounts

No it won’t require software. The applications are present in the new account but their shortcuts are not displayed. The new accounts have all installed programs it just changes the way you want the GUI and what shortcuts you want to be displayed on desktop. For program shortcuts and start ups, most multiple user computers also have a listing for "All Users". You can copy all the shortcuts from “C:\Documents and Settings\useraccountname\Desktop” and paste it in same path but with different user account name.

i think you need to make the shortcuts again or one more thing that you can do is copy the shortcuts from the Documents and Settings folder in your previous profile to the Documents and settings folder in your other profile using My Computer (if you have installed Windows XP/98). It will require accessing show hidden and system folders and files which can be done by going to tool>folder options and then checking Show hidden file and then check show system files. It will let you access those folders.

Whichever files you want from the desktop, save them first in some folder. Then, log on to the new user's account to move the files to: My Computer\C:\Users(whatever your other user name is). Copy the files you earlier saved to the desktop and paste then at a specified location or, if u had cut rather than copied then paste them.

There are various ways to do it. One of the simplest way is to copy all the files to desktop of first user and then transfer it to the other by accessing “C:\Documents and Settings\useraccountname\Desktop”. Other way is that you can burn a CD and transfer files. You can also mail the files iof they are not large and transfer between PC or accounts. Depends which ways suit you the most.

the best way is to follow the path below and copy and paste
    C:\Documents and Settings\user1\My Documents
    then copy the files and paste them into
    C:\Documents and Settings\user2\My Documents
    This won’t work if the second user is denied the permission to access the files in first user