Thread: Is it possible to install Windows 7 on D Drive and other programs on C Drive?

Is it possible to install Windows 7 on D Drive and other programs on C Drive?

I recently purchased a new laptop (Asus G73JH) with a 32 GB SSD for Windows itself and a 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT SSH for primary storage (Programs / Docs / etc). I was thinking of putting the SSD as drive "D" and Seagate as drive "C". I wonder if the setting up will create the set up path for the software on the disc "C" or "D" drive. Also if the "Users" directory is on drive "D" or "C" as the folder that contains the users "My Documents, videos, music, photo folders" is formed of one large SSD.

Re: Is it possible to install Windows 7 on D Drive and other programs on C Drive?

First, every time you wish that the OS should be installed in drive C: - this means that the SSD is also very effortless to create your default documents to a unlike hard drive - I use two HD partitions, one for the OS and another for files, and set at the document library, music, photos, etc. are located on the second unit. Although I'm using two partitions on the same physical disk, while two physical drives, the process is the same here.

Re: Is it possible to install Windows 7 on D Drive and other programs on C Drive?

I suppose this is Windows 7 right? If so, hard disk, create folders for documents, images, music and so on. Click Start, click every one and add that folder to the list and set as the storage location. Drag it to the top of the list, as is the order of folders will appear when you open the library. You can then delete the folder for each, which was in C: \ Users \ yourloginname \ if desired. You can also change - it is sometimes necessary to use the advanced installation option when available. Then change the installation path, e.g. C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Paintdotnet to D: \ Program Files (x86) \ Paintdotnet. You definitely want the operating system on C: although.

I guess I should check with MS have been established why the operating system to run on the first disk is always the boot drive. That's where the master boot record is full and the change would require a manipulation of the firmware that is loaded into the BIOS. This is a fairly simple concept with a vision that was adopted early in the evolution of computers and still is today. I can use a 75 GB SSD and like it that way, is loading faster thrice times the operating system and frequently used programs. The second unit (D) is 640 GB and all prog that are loaded after the operating system and run the "D" for all but at the beginning of the prog. Information files, photos are also saved in the "D".

It's not essentially that Windows needs to be on drive C: that is, when you install Windows one way or another select the C: drive to install, but the Windows boot drive usually automatically named as the C: drive. There are some cases where something goes crazy and the Windows boot drive is not drive C: but this is usually the exception not the rule. Well this is what I think but you can try it. All the best!

You can choose where the "My Documents" folder stores the data. It need not be in the boot disk. My Documents (or whatever in Vista and 7) is essentially just a "link" or "direct access" to a place you choose. By default, connected to a place on the boot drive (C , and can decide to alter that. So, in your circumstances, modification can be done to the D: drive, which will be the 500 GB hard drive. As an example, for my installation of Windows XP on the desktop (can not remember if Vista has also set up this way), I have my documents pointing to a network drive.