Thread: No direct download for Backtrack 5 other than Torrent

No direct download for Backtrack 5 other than Torrent

As some of you might have heard that we have already got a Hacker friendly Linux distribution and that Backtrack 5. However I also went to download the ISO file of this new OS. First of all I opened the official website. I thought that it would be better if I download it from the official site rather than any third party ones. When I click on the download link the page redirected we toward Torrent downloads. I don’t recognize why they have given the download source like torrent rather than the direct download source like we have seen before in previous versions?

Re: No direct download for Backtrack 5 other than Torrent

BackTrack is for every one of public safety professionals smarter quickly newcomers to the turf of information security. BackTrack promotes a rapid and simple to come across and update the database's main compilation of security tools up to date. As far as I know that there is no direct download link for this OS to download. None of the site has ever offered it. I don’t know why it is and for what reason but I think that this would because to maintain or balance the server load. However if you are really looking for direct download link for Backtrack 5, there is a ftp link which you can get from some sites. You can directly download the file from the ftp server.

The latest version of BackTrack is based on Ubuntu, as BackTrack 4, unlike previous versions based on Slax. As I said includes a long list of security tools ready to be used, among which many port scanners and vulnerability files, exploits, sniffers, forensic analysis tools and tools for auditing wireless. To download BackTrack 5 first thing to do is go to this page. There you will see a form. Fill is optional, if you simply want to register click download and move to the next dialog box. There will not be any Torrent page for the download.

Once you press the download button a dialog appears that allows you to choose some aspect of your distribution. For example lets you choose the desktop environment (KDE or GNOME), architecture (ARM, 32 bits, 64 bits), image type (ISO or VMWare) and if you download directly from the page or as a torrent file. Here are you who decide what you want. Once you select your preference is a matter of pressing the button that says Click to download. The download and you must wait until the download BackTrack 5. Then burn the image onto a DVD and boot your computer with the Live CD just recorded.

In BackTrack 5 there are some changes on the screen showing the boot options. There are only 6 options, while BackTrack 4 had 9. The options are:
    • BackTrack Text
    • BackTrack Stealth
    • BackTrack Forensics
    • Debug BackTrack
    • BackTrack Mentest
    • Boot Hard Drive

Press the Enter key (Enter) to start in text mode is the default. The system will load all the drivers and finally the cursor will flash and show you the following:
    Code:
    root @ root: ~ #
    As indicated in the display, the command to start the graphics mode is the command "startx". So just type startx and press Enter (Enter). BackTrack rise in graphical mode. On the desktop icon appears with the name of BackTrack Install.
    Code:
    root @ root: ~ # startx
    To install BackTrack 5 on your computer you just have to click the Install icon and follow the instructions BackTrack to the end.

I have also gone for the download of Backtrack 5 but I haven’t seen any torrent link there in order to download. It seems to me that you have by mistake opened the torrent site but the download. On the other hand there will not any problem if you download the ISO file or Vmware file of BT5. You will get the proper file and you can burn it on the CD without any problem. Otherwise as someone said you should look for ftp link which offer direct download.

To install this new version of BackTrack, please visit the official website. Many options are available. First you can choose between two graphics managers: Gnome (<3) and KDE. Then choose the architecture 32 or 64-bits. The type of downloadable image (VM, iso) and how to download (Torrent or Direct). Once the choices made, click on Click to download to start the download.