Thread: How to upgrade from Backtrack 4 to Backtrack 5

How to upgrade from Backtrack 4 to Backtrack 5

I have been using the Backtrack Linux which of version 4 from the past several months. Right now I come to know about the latest version of Backtrack what is of version 5. However while looking for an upgrade I got that there is no easy upgrade path for this from Backtrack 4 to Backtrack 5. There have been excessively numerous essential base changes to build this achievable. However the only way left is a fresh install which is also the suggested technique.

Re: How to upgrade from Backtrack 4 to Backtrack 5

I have read each blog that has crop up edition 5 which has been circulated like the most excellent security distribution, through news, links for download, how attractive it is and all that things. However I am also wondering how do I upgrade my older backtrack 4 toward the brand new edition? It is actually simple theoretically. The actuality is that it is easier to reinstall from scrape, in addition it takes a section. As for all time, upgrading an OS offers unanticipated issues and during this case there are more than a few versions of Ubuntu by still further. I'll speak it over again: backup. If somewhat breaks, I do not make out whatever thing.

BackTrack is a GNU / Linux LiveCD format imagined plus designed for protection checking and associated to PC security generally. Presently it has an enormous reputation and recognition in the community that rotates in the region of PC security. I have also seen that there is no upgrade option available which will offer you direct up-gradation rather than installing from the scratch. Unluckily this service is not available for Backtrack. As new version of operating system you should completely install it as a new one.

As far as I know that the upgrading the Backtrack 4 means it’s only updates its kernels, other than this it will full upgrade to version 5. As far as I know that the new version of backtrack 5 has several additional tools which should needed for the security professionals.

It's always amazing what the global open source community makes possible. Programming environments, tools and other software that only a few years ago for a lot of money (or an illegal copy) was available, is now available free to everyone. These include "Back Track", an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution designed for security professionals, pen-testers, and otherwise interested in security and hacker tools people. The well-known Linux hacker has recently appeared in the version 5 "revolution". Contains numerous tools were revamped and even Linux kernel (6.2.38) and other components were brought up to date. Large parts of the underlying system were even developed from scratch and put together, so that an upgrade of Back to Back Track 4 Track 5 is not possible. Too much has been done "under the hood", so that cannot be ignored in order to reinstall.

First of all you need to Uninstal Backtrack 4. To do this simply remove the content of the /backtrack folder within the root of Katana drive. This includes the "hidden".directory within that folder. (DO NOT remove the backtrack folder.). After this download the Backtrack 5 files and copy them to the proper directory. Before this I think that you need to modify some kind of files. I think that the file name is bt.cf.

You will get the Backtrack 5 as an ISO file otherwise VMWare image for 32 and 64-bit systems. Available with pre-configured KDE or Gnome interface. Once burned to DVD, you can use Backtrack 5 as a live system or install it directly on a computer. Or use backtrack as a virtualized environment. A blog, a wiki, a forum and a tutorial section offering tips and information for getting started.