Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Permission error into apache var/www folder on Linux mint

Operating Systems

Old 02-07-2011

Permission error into apache var/www folder on Linux mint

Recently I have installed Linux mint and enjoying it. My issue is with Permission error into apache var/www folder. The /etc/httpd folder does not exist. I wanted to copy my projects into the /var/www folder. Help me to solve this problem by locating the /etc/httpd folder. Also how can I retrieve/ move it etc and fix the permissions as I currently set the var folder to 755?

Old 02-07-2011

Re: Permission error into apache var/www folder on Linux mint

According to me you must have misplaced the folder. Just have a look around in /etc folder if its not there in /etc/httpd/ folder. It can also be in /etc/apache or etc/apache2 . The path may me not appropriate because I don?t know what browse address you have allocated to your projects. So try searching in different folders, it may take some time. The permission 755 regarding should be fine for /var or else you should try getting to /var/www directory.
Old 02-07-2011

If you want to check the permission on on /var/www then use the below code and if you want to work inside the /var/www then you would need to have correct permission on the /var/www directory.
Code:
ls -ld /var/www/
or
Code:
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-04-29 09:50 /var/www
Old 02-07-2011

Here is an option. You can use this, I am sure it will work.
Code:
mkdir ~/public_html
sudo ln -s ~public_html /var/www/$USER
After that command make a test.php in public_html. Also you can create folders and files w/o having to be root. Then edit the link as below:
Code:
$USER = equals my username
localhost/klyxmaster/test.php
Old 02-07-2011

If you want to write files into /var/www as a user rather than root, the permission is required. Try the option- Add the user to a group, then change the owner of the group of the directory to www. After that set the 775 permission on /var/www. Follow the code:

Code:
groupadd www
chown -R :www /var/www
chmod -R 775 /var/www
To allow users to edit the file:
Code:
chmod -R 777 /var/www/
There are many other ways but the above two mentioned are the quicker ones.
Old 05-07-2011

To reside the php applications in ?/var/ www?, to the linked ?/var/www? which is apache2's default web directory. You have to create the www directory by giving the ownership to the apache user and allow other users to access group using:
Code:
sudo mkdir /var/rails
sudo chown www-data:www-data /var/rails
sudo chmod 775 /var/rails

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , ,