Thread: Missing Hard disk space on the Arch Linux

Missing Hard disk space on the Arch Linux

As the title suggesting what is the purpose of this particular thread. Well I have installed Arch Linux on the computer of mine. from past couple of days I have noticed an issue with the computer of mine. I am having a hard disk of 150 GB and all of sudden it is being displaying that there is no partition on the hard disk of mine. Let me know why I am having the above mentioned issue. Any help to resolve the matter would be highly appreciate thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Missing Hard disk space on the Arch Linux

Well looking at the situation tell me whether you have checked the LostFound folder on the computer of yours. also I am suspecting that you have not mounted the partition on the computer and see whether it is working or not. I am suggesting following command which you can run on the terminal and let me know about the output of the same.
    Code:
    $ df –h
    Ans also run the below mentioned command on the terminal.
    Code:
    # du -x -m --max-depth=1 /

I think it is used space on the computer of yours. if I am not wrong it could be opened by the process which has been deleted from the system. Let me know if you are aware of any long process which might be doing this. You can search for the files by using the following command on the computer.
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/lsof | grep deleted
    Particularly you have to look on the 7th Field which would tell you about the bytes of the files.

Well I am suggesting that you have to check the size of the directories on the computer which might be taking too much space. I am suggesting following command which you should run on the computer of yours and let me know whether it is helpful to you or not.
    Code:
    sudo find / -type f -size +10000k
    after running the above mentioned command I am suggesting that you should post the output of the same.

I am suggesting couple of solutions which you can try to fix the matter of yours.
    • You have to reboot the computer of yours after deleting the files which the program has been open.
    • Also you should try to run the ‘tune2fs’ on computer which would help you to release the reserved for the root if there are not any system directories on the hardware partition

Well I wanted to say thanks to all the guys for replying with the possible solutions. After using the instructions of yours I have found that number of old deleted backup files into the root directory into root .Trash directory. I have deleted the same and I have found that increment in the size of the hard disk space. So I wanted to appreciate your efforts which you have put in to fix the matter of mine.