Thread: Gentoo Linux doesn't support each HDMI resolution

Gentoo Linux doesn't support each HDMI resolution

Hi I have a HDTV that I connect with my machine in which I was running Ubuntu previously and was working perfectly, I mean to say each of the resolution provided by the OS was detecting in the TV but since I have installed gentoo in my machine i can’t load 1360x768. Resolution, and not only this, I have to choose from very limited resolution, though I have checked all the settings but I am not getting that, is there any possibility to set them, or we can’t do it anyway? If yes then how?

Re: Gentoo Linux doesn't support each HDMI resolution

See have you installed a proper graphic driver in your machine? because the resolution is provided by the graphic drivers only, and if suppose the graphic driver that you have has no capability to provide this resolutions then you cannot use that so rather first of all you need to install the proper graphic driver in your machine, and if suppose you don’t have the latest one so according to you should download the respective drivers from their official website.

According to me you should try the special driver for the Linux windows, I have heard about the Linux graphic driver from the Intel so you should download that only, and off course you can try both of the drivers like you can use either the one that you have got along with the hardware and then if it doesn’t work properly, you can try the one that I have mentioned, and this is not the only issue in the gentoo when I had install the same I was in fact not able to install it however. So I again downgrade to Linux again.

You can have another option as to use Screen Resolution GUI tool and through which you can set the resolution that you want, or you can use the mentioned command which will enable you to see names of dissimilar outputs accessible on your system :

$ xrandr

And as you got the proper resolution you can set it as a default by typing this command in to the terminal

$ xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1360x768
    Or
    $ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1360x768

Along with this you can change the refresh rate also for your TV by this command :

$ xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1360x768 --rate 75

If you are still having the problem after doing all this mentioned steps and you are eager to have that resolution, then according to me you should again install the Ubuntu only, because as you have mentioned that you can run it in, so that would be better option or you can simply make dual boot in which choose ubuntu as another operating system.