Thread: Is it possible to access 97 run under Windows 7 Professional?

Is it possible to access 97 run under Windows 7 Professional?

I have an Access application written wide database of more than 15 years that I use in my business up to 6 computers to access a server. This application was written in Access 97. We are currently running XP Professional on all our computers and works seamlessly access 97 which allow us to address my request for access. The application does everything we need and do not feel inclined to write back to a newer version of Access or Visual Basic in fact I would take a year at least! But we need to improve some or all of our computers. Could "downgrade" to XP, but perhaps rather to advance the operating system. However, if Access 97 does not work on Windows 7 Professional him the immediate future sticks with XP.

Re: Is it possible to access 97 run under Windows 7 Professional?

Well, you say you prefer to advance the operating system so that it is time to also get a new version of Office? If you're talking business, you should be able to reduce the cost of Office software with the purchase under a volume license agreement. Word 2007 can be familiar with the files in Word 97 and Excel 2007 Excel 97 can recognize. And I'm pretty sure later versions of Access can also open Access 97 databases. It should be, perhaps not perfect so if you have a newer version of Office, then maybe worth it if it is possible to convert most 97 dB Off Office Access version xx, but I know that in some cases not possible.

Several choices come to mind, but I sincerely do not know for sure if any of them could be a possible key for your requirements. Dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7. In other words, if you have Windows 7, not removed Win XP. Install Windows 7 on a dual boot configuration. Try running Office 97 compatibility mode in Windows 7. If you are upgrading your operating system to Windows 7, delete Win XP instead of creating a dual boot configuration. Then install Windows XP as a "virtual machine" using virtual machine software like VMware Player or VirtualBox. Any of these options, I suppose, implies some learning difficulties for all users.

Assuming you has Windows XP discs that will undoubtedly go the route of the virtual machine. This way, you can use your existing Windows XP operating system and Windows 7 too. However, that's me and I realize you do not want to go this route. Either way if you are using Windows XP or 7. Personally, I prefer VMware Workstation, but not free. In addition, 7.1 of the workstation are coming soon, and is more enjoyable than the XP mode. But I cannot really talk about it. However, VMware Player could also be beneficial.

When you try to use the Access 97 help files, you get the error "There was a problem running the macro. (1037)." The solution to this is covered in the article itself supported by Microsoft. Basically, you need to run:
    "C: \ WINDOWS \ syswow64 \ Regedit32.exe" and create the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WinHelp" and then create DWORD "AllowProgrammaticMacros" and put the value "1".
    To install the SR-2 (Sr2bof97.exe), it is necessary to restore some of the Windows 7 source files, with copied versions of Windows XP.

Let me say that I'm in exactly the same position as you are and probably for the same reasons. So I understand your problem 100%. And as you have been looking for a solution and dreading the day when I could not get an XP machine. I think that day is 'almost' here. Win7 virtual machines did not for me and my next step was to bite the bullet and get the most important application in PHP with MySQL rewritten and put it in the cloud. I think I'll do that anyway. I think Microsoft has made all the wrong and the sooner we move the bill better.