Thread: Replacing Windows server with the Open source software to increase profit

Replacing Windows server with the Open source software to increase profit

Well I the users of this particular forum have helped to fix get the requirement of mine. I have installed windows based server on the system of mine. Well I looking to switch any of the open source software which are available in the market. Let me know whether it would be feasible to install the Open Source software on the server. Share your experience on this particular matter. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Replacing Windows server with the Open source software to increase profit

As far as OS of the server has been concerned I recommend that you should have CentOS. It is a free enterprise Linux based operating system. Well CentOS has been developed by the Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It is 1005 compatible with binary. You can get the above mentioned software from the official website. So I am hoping that it would be useful to you.

I am agree with the thing which you have mentioned over here. The Linux based platform is not having any active directory. However it is having the system Active Directory based on the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol. This particular protocol is having an ability to read the directories over the network. If it is setup properly then it can serve the business as it is done into the Active Directory . it is quite difficult to run and maintain the system which is based on the LDAP.

I let you know that the BIND name system for the DNS based system. LDAP and BIND are quite easy to install as well as configure on the system. You can configure the same by using six simple steps. So according to me it would not be any issue when you are supposed to replace the Windows server. If you are going to use CentOS then you will have less issue when you are supposed to configure BIND on the server.

If you are supposed to use the Linux OS a server platform then you will have the Apace as option to have the web server. Well the Apache is quite reliable and scalable and you can install this particular software quite easily. Once you have done with the installation you have to use tasksel command on the Ubuntu. You need to run couple of command when you are supposed to install Apache on the CentOs.

You should have a replacement for the Microsoft Exchange. There is a good news for you need to have the couple of groupware servers for the Linux based operating system. Well you can have Zimbra and groupware. Also you can have Open Xchange . I have noticed that most of the Linux groupware servers would add the Linux server Exchange. Also the CentOS is having an ability to function as a DHCP server.