Thread: Windows 7 home network connection dropping intermittently

sad Windows 7 home network connection dropping intermittently

I have a desktop computer and a laptop computer both running Windows 7 Home Premium. The desktop is connected to the router directly and the laptop is connected to the wireless network. When I restart both computers, I can see and access the other computer through the home network without problems. But after a while, sometimes just a few minutes, I can only see the other computer and cannot access it. Sometimes, I cannot even see the other computer. If I do a "ipconfig /release" and a "ipconfig /renew", it may sometimes correct the problem for a while.

I have looked at many related discussions on the web and none of the suggestions work for me.

I have the firewalls disabled on both computers, as well as the ipv6 and IP Helper service.

I have turned a number of services, such as computer browser, server, workstation and many others to automatic as people suggested.

I have turned the power option of the adapter to never power off and maximum performance.

I have tried changing the channel of the router.

I have made sure that the restrictanonymous is set to zero.

But none of these work for me. Anything else that I can try? Thanks!

Re: Windows 7 home network connection dropping intermittently

Try one thing. Change the workgroup of the main computer. Then change the same workgroup in the others also. This is important. You can check that by right clicking on My Computer and then choosing Properties. In that go on Computer name and keep the common workgroup for all. It is important that there must be common workgroup for all. Try to disable your security services for sometime and checkback.

I have tried that already. I changed the workgroup of all the computers to something else and then changed them back to the same name. I made sure that the workgroup name in all the computers are the same. But that didn't change anything.

One funny thing is that I could only see the homegroup in my laptop and I couldn't see anything in the homegroup on the desktop. However, the laptop showed up under network of the desktop.

I have disabled all the firewalls already and that didn't seem to help.

All the computers showed up in net view. But when I pinged using the name or the Ip address, it worked sometimes and didn't work the other times.

I have heard that it is a know problem of Window 7 Operating Sytem. So what you can do is check whether you are facing the issue in Safe mode with networking in the link given below http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...t-is-safe-mode. Also check whether you are facing the issue in clean boot in the link given below
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135. Lastly, you could also check whether you are having issues with network adapters in the link given below
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...apter-problems