Thread: Hooking drag and drop functionality of windows

Hooking drag and drop functionality of windows

I need some to perform hooking the drag and drop functionality of the windows XP. I try so many solutions but up till now i am not capable to discover an correct solution. I need to test the file's name before dropped in anywhere on system. The DLL help to hook the event being make by the drag and drop process. Urgently I need a help to solve this problem. Any type of help to solve this problem will be appreciates.

Re: Hooking drag and drop functionality of windows

You just require doing it with COM by put into action the IDropTarget interface in the existing application. Using this you need to supply a callback for IDropTarget : ragEnter technique. This will be help to called when you need to drags an object into the specific application. In this case, you need to test the IDataObject supplied. Then make a decision if it is acceptable. Use this technique and it really help to solve such problem.

You require capturing the file name and the type of this file. Do this before drop it in on any application, folder or on desktop. I think you have cleared this thing. I read several article and then I found this technique. i think it is related to IDropTarget a solution. It enables your application to admit the drag n drop file. For doing the hook the shell events, use of SetWinEventHook. Then use this and it will be working to solve the problem existing in this system.

Hooking this drag and drop functionality of windows you need to use the DoDragDrop and also need to catch the IDataObject dataobject in the proxy function. The IDataObject::getdata() will be useful to catch data wrapped in the data object make by the explorer.exe file. This is the shell and as a effect of Dragging action of user. Then use the filter data and this will be help to create new dataobject. Then call native DoDragDrop() among latest data object as parameter.

The IDropTarget interface is useful to do such kind of task. You need to use this interface for Hooking drag and drop functionality of windows. It afford drag-and-drop operations in your existing application. The methods present in this interface will be used in any application. This method can be a target for data through a drag-and-drop operation. This interface contains methods that handle all these responsibilities.