Thread: Ubuntu error: no such device, Grub rescue

Ubuntu error: no such device, Grub rescue

I have installed Linux before I my extra computer but now I turned back to windows. Currently the other day i sought after Linux another time. Therefore i utilized the wubi installer intended for ubuntu 10.04. Everything went well until the start up and desktop screen. After some minutes a update popped up as a result i installed it and rebooted. Though it didn’t boot up rather it shown the error: no such device…… grub rescue>. I tried rebooting again but no luck. I just stuck there. How can I fix this error? Currently I am using my computer by the help of live CD.

Re: Ubuntu error: no such device, Grub rescue

You have just installed Ubuntu and Lucid Lynx to completed installation the system does not start on boot, this error?
    Error: no such device
    Failed to boot default entries

It seems that the error is due to a bug in grub, but some sources claim that may be due to the installation of ubuntu cd with an image that has run badly.

I had the same problem after installing the updates for Ubuntu. The boot menu does not appear more 'and gave me the error "no such device error" and the prompt grub rescue>. I found this very simple solution.
    • Boot the PC from the Windows 7 DVD after the language selection screen, I clicked on restore.
    • I selected a command prompt and gave the following command:
    • x: \ boot \ bootsect / nt52 all / force / mbr (x = drive name 'DVD)
    • After the DVD tollto I typed exit, and then I clicked restart.
    • MI and 'reappeared the boot menu and everything works as before.
    • I hope can be useful to someone.

To correct this entry Grub definitely wrong, here's the solution:
    • Booting Ubuntu and Open a terminal: Applications> Accessories> Terminal and type the following command
      Code:
       sudo gedit / usr / lib / grub / grub-mkconfig_lib
    • Rub out the following lines (concerning 175 to l.173):
      Code:
       if fs_uuid ="`${ grub_probe} - device $ {device} - target = fs_uuid 2> / dev / null `"; then
        echo "search - no-floppy - fs-uuid - set $ {} fs_uuid"
       fi
    • Save modifications and close the file
    • In the terminal, put in the following command:
      Code:
      sudo update-grub
    • You must notice output and that’s it, it is done now.

I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala on a PC, and Windows 7. Causing suppression system boot which in my case was grub, which is normal since Windows will install its own MBR overwriting grub. Hoping to restore Grub, however, I was confronted with failure to boot from Windows 7 (for all versions of Windows). First, it must boot from the CD to install Ubuntu in LiveCD mode and Reinstal GRUB 2. After this operation I have found the Grub bootloader to start with the entry for Ubuntu and the entry for Windows 7.

I don’t understand a word in that error message. Actually, it would also almost does not matter to me, to rescue the Linux installation on the external drive, if it were not a few mails there. I had, as said Linux was running the email client set up and voted at the polling options thoughtlessly pop3. That in turn means that the retrieved messages, logically, are no longer on the server. But on the external hard drive. If I knew another way to get this data ran, could repair the Linux MBR can also be carried out and instead a Wubi installation on the internal HDD.

Okay, so I fond myself having a similar problem to others regarding grub not booting ubuntu after an update.

I managed to find a work-around by booting one of the older kernels in the grub selection screen.

New problem:

My external IOMEGA 1TB HD just crashed today, and is not mounting, detectable, and giving a lovely click of death.

My ubuntu partition was loaded to this external. and to boot even from my cd-drive or my internal hard-drive I had to go through the grub menu in the external. without that disk drive, i cannot get the system to boot from its internal hdd or an optical drive. No matter what I select from the boot-list it gives me a grub no such device error. I cannot run a windows repair disk, nor can i run a live cd, nor can I boot the internal windows partition.

PLEASE HELP

Just to confirm have you tried out the solution that has been mentioned above by Amma-Watson???? if not then try out the same and if yes then what was the result of the solution.

"ujst to confirm have you tried out the solution that has been mentioned above by Amma-Watson???? if not then try out the same and if yes then what was the result of the solution."

I cannot boot into ubuntu or a livecd mode, because I cannot access my optical drive, the bootloader re-directs to grub no matter what I select