Thread: How is Ubuntu without antivirus?

How is Ubuntu without antivirus?

I was using Windows 7 in my laptop earlier but I found that it was dead so I installed Ubuntu 10 on my laptop. For me Ubuntu is working great. I don’t open the Thunderbird and Open Office program. Once I open any of them my machine will go very slow.\, but I am happy that it is working fine. I used to surf on internet and download music’s and videos. I have come to hear that Linux does not require any antivirus. Am I safe while using Internet?

Re: How is Ubuntu without antivirus?

I don’t think that you might require any type of antivirus for Linux as none of the virus can affect your system if you are using Linux, even though if they attack they don’t cause much harm. I made lots of searches on google and found out the best Anti-virus for Linux. I saw that AVG was best for Linux. So here is the download link if you want to download the Linux versions http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=afl.

I am also running Linux in my desktop for more than 2 years. I dint find any reason to have an anti-virus for my system, especially because I am using Linux. It is not of much to worry, even if you get the virus because it does not affect the system. The chances of viruses to execute it Is not of much possible as risk is really low. As, to get the virus itself executing it requires the Superuser privacy, which only you can give it.

From many years I am using Linux, and I don’t have any Anti-Virus protection or any other things. You must be smart enough to use this properly. Just to be as a smart user, and use your smartness and don’t ever try to log in it as root. I have never tried to log into the root and I am safe till now. You also bring out your smartness and you will be safe. Don’t even worry about your system as it strong enough to avoid any virus entering into your system.

If you are downloading the AVG Anti-virus and if you are users of Ubuntu, you need the .deb file to be selected. The current .deb version is 7.5.51. Save the file you downloaded into the desktop. After you finish download, all you need to do is to do same thing it install just double click on it. But there is not much to worry if you don’t download the anti-virus, since no virus can affect your Linux system until you get into the root and they get the permission to execute themselves.

It is really harder for the Linux users that they can get the virus. Because it is not that easy for the virus to gain the access entering into the root. However they can enter into your system and get the saved Firefox passwords, they can also access your address book. So make sure that if you have saved any of the password or other important stuffs in your system, you protect them. Also if you are transferring anything through the USB drive from other computer then make sure you scan the USB.

Nobody makes viruses for unix, why would they? Nobody really uses linux so theyd rather make viruses that work on windows.
    You can still get viruses and ive heard that rootkits are a bit of a problem too. But if you arnt big on downloading torrents and going on dodgy websites then you dont have much to worry about, not even on windows.