Thread: windows hangs during logon

windows hangs during logon

Hello,
    I have problem with my server 2008 R2. During applying new patches server was turned off from power. When I start the server I can see typical screen with ctrl+alt+del . I insert my credential and then server always stuck with text : "applying internet explorer zonemapping policy"
    I cannot go to safe mode too, because server is restarted in few minutes after I can see welcome screen.
    I can run the recovery console but I do not know how to remove bad hotfixes... Could you help me ? Do you thing that there is other problem ?

Many thanks in advance

Re: windows hangs during logon

I also had similar problems and I give it ago by applying the KB899409, apply it on a test server. This fixed the issue on applying personal settings for me. If all else fails and you are out of options test the patch in your test enviroment, if the patch does not apply well at least you know. Also we found for info, if you are using adobe reader and it is in your startup folder remove it as this causes the issue as well.

Thank you for your reply, but I cannot log on to the windows...
    Applying setting takes forever. I let it 2 hours and it is still in status "applying settings"... I can not connect to windows I can only to run recovery console from DVD... Do you have any idea, how to repair it from this console? Thanks

I also faced similar problems but later on discovered that in my case the error was adding two letter domain which causes an error both in the security zones in Internet Explorer. The cause is that Microsoft does not allow any two letter domain names in top level domain names being added in the IE security zones:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259493

Thanks for tip. Unfortunately this is not my case... I do not have server in domain.
    I think that I have to reinstall system.

I think that you could be able to resolve this issue by updating the .ADM files used by Group Policy Management.

Setting State
    Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ListBox_Support_ZoneMapKey 1
    Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMapKey\Intranet Server

thanks for tip, but I can not log on to the server... it hangs forever... I cannot manage server via computer management too. I can only run recovery console from DVD. Is it possible to update .ADM files from this console ? Many thanks

This issue typically occurs after you install a server certificate and then configure Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) on the computer. For example, you install a SSL server certificate in Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0 and then enable HTTPS on your website to use the certificate. For more information check the suggestions given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2379016

Thanks for your information.
    I did not install any certificate. I think that problem occured due incorrect reboot during updating hotfixes. I cannot logon to the server but I can start regedit via recovery console. I will try to edit record according your mentioned site. Thanks