Thread: ESXi 4.1 installation error "vmkctl.HostCtlException Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vkmod/vmfs3: Failure

ESXi 4.1 installation error "vmkctl.HostCtlException Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vkmod/vmfs3: Failure

Hello
    I am searching, what will be the best OS for my test server for virtual machines... I wanted to try free version of ESXi,
    https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/ind...free-esxi&lp=1
    but I received many failures during instalation. I suppose the reason is that I have no original server components. I am using my desktop as server.
    Phenom II x4 840, 12GB DDR3, Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H, Enermax Pro82+ II

Do you know what this error mean? Could you help me with this problem?

Thank you in advance.

Re: ESXi 4.1 installation error "vmkctl.HostCtlException Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vkmod/vmfs3: Failure

I think that the error usually indicates one of three things ESXi can't find that is the nic, controller, or CPU. Generally it's the conroller or nic that cause most issues. If you install on usb it will be required to boot up all the time but will let you know whether the issue is with controller or nic, or at least provide some insight. Normally the broadcom or intel works best for ESXi, not sure if you're nic is supported.

Re: ESXi 4.1 installation error "vmkctl.HostCtlException Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vkmod/vmfs3: Failure

thanks for your reply...
    my NIC is
    Realtek 8111D/E chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

I was searching on net about this problem and many peoples have similar problem
    I found one tip and I hope that it help me. In case that somebody have similar problem here you are tip how to fix it:

... adding acpi=off to the command line allowed the installation to continue. So to do this, at the

VMVisor (ESXi) boot menu, press Tab. Change the command line to read:
    mboot.c32 vmkboot.gz acpi=off --- vmkernel.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- ienviron.vgz --- install.vgz
    You should now be able to press Enter at the appropriate point and continue your installation
    I think that this can help only if I have problem with controller "acpi=off" I will see and let you know...

Otherwise, I will install Microsoft Hyper V server... I do not want to buy new network adapter

When this message appears on the console screen, one can use the Alt-F11 or Alt-F12 keys, to switch to other screens, where more descriptive error messages are displayed. Alt-F12 changes to the system log screen, which is scrollable. In my case, Vmware was complaining about an unsupported NIC earlier in the log, before this message: ESXi 4.1 installation error "vmkctl.HostCtlException Unable to load module /usr/lib/vmware/vkmod/vmfs3: Failure"
    is displayed on the installation screen.
    VMware really should fix this, it seems that many people are falling over unsupported devices, but all receiving the same misleading installation error.

This kind of error that you may be getting usually indicates one of three things ESXi can't find...nic, controller, or CPU. Generally it's the controller or nic that cause most issues. If you install on usb it will be required to boot up all the time but will let you know whether the issue is with controller or nic. Normally the broadcom or intel works best for ESXi, not sure if you're nic is supported.