Thread: Backtrack 5 freezing randomly

Backtrack 5 freezing randomly

Backtrack 5 finally got installed on my laptop (installed on the hard drive, a single operating system). I'm in the process of trying to script fakeAP pwn on Backtrack 5 My friend is working and finding new directories where things are installed, etc anywhere in 30 seconds to 5 minutes, the computer freezes completely and no response at all. It's been about 7 times and now it's annoying as hell. Does anyone else have this difficulty?

Re: Backtrack 5 freezing randomly

I am facing similar problems also when I do many extra things. I do not know what causes the difficulty. Looking forward for help. The difficulty that exists with KDE 32bit and 64bit. Gnome 64-bit does not seem to be a problem. I close many of the stationery, but cannot resolve. If anyone facing the similar problem and got solution for this issue than post we will be glad and everyone will be thankful to you.

Many lines in Xorg.0.log write as below:

__glXDRIbindTexImage: Failed to register texture offset override

I have an alike problem with Backtrack 5 both x32 and x64 KDE. Particularly, when I click on Firefox minimize in the KDE panel and then freezes completely. In addition, broken up when connected to the network via wicd. I disabled desktop effects, which seems to have helped a bit. It could be related to this error kde unresolved: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=260285 . If anyone provide with perfect solution than I will be thankful to you.

I was facing a similar difficulty. Let me know if you have ATI graphic cards than, this is very well known problem with the current kernel and the unit of property no. If you install the ati driver from ATI website there will be no more locks (I'm running backtrack 5 kde 64 bits and no crashes since changing the fglrx kernel module) more help let me know. Just post your answer here. I think after this your freezing problem will be solved.

I installed backtrack 5 and its getting freeze. I installed Backtrack 5 to my portable hard drive and during installation everything was successful. I installed the driver of nvidia from its website which was successful. I had to run kernel to advance nvidia installer knew anywhere the tree was the kernel source code. But from time to time Backtrack just hang-up, the mouse stops working, cannot kill X, no respond from any control. Do not freeze in the similar position that happens by chance. Not sure what could be.

Specifications
    • BackTrack 5 32 bit with KDE
    • nVidia 8200M G GPU
    • Seagate 320 GB portable

I'm using backtrack 5 32bit gnome edition and I’m having similar difficulty as well. I can't locate exactly what it is. Except I'm thoughts it does contain to do with minimize or maximize. Not positive though. I had open about four console then it freeze. Then have to power off computer. I was not able to even do the restart.im not trying to pinpoint the exact problem. I’m really getting annoyed. Waiting for someone to upload a good tutorial on this topic.

I think you should installed the driver you be supposed to be able to go into the start bar/application bar, go to settings and there must be an nvidia application, open it and go to PowerMizer, change the setting from Adaptive to Prefer Maximum Performance. I have the correct same card and I have to do that every time I start up think this is really frustrating me because every time I have to do the setting. if anyone know full solution than do reply me here.

Hello, I'm new to BackTrack. After a few days facing this problem, I found a way to fix it. I went into Configure Desktop Effect -> Advanced and changed Compositing type to XRender which default is OpenGL.

I don't know if it works for you, but hopefully it works well. Thank you for reading this, I hope you can play with Backtrack without any anger.editt

Install the official drivers for your GPU and you will not get the problem with all desktop effects enabled.
    For ATI users, download the official *run file and use it to generate the fglrx module and some other .deb files and install them.edit .Now u wont face any difficulty and everything will work fine for you after u do all configuration properly.if you require any further help please let me know the issue and will post u solution to fix it.

That driver doesn't work with the newer kernels

You can make that work only if you use it on basic installation. That means, do not setup any better display settings. Run on minimal settings while disabling the other graphic settings. Backtrack can give you issue regarding incompatible drivers and some hardware but if you can find the right patch you can make the same work properly.