Thread: Can't get my wifi to work in backtrack 5?

Can't get my wifi to work in backtrack 5?

I’m beginner in Linux and I’m new to backtrack 5 also .I have installed the Backtrack 5 on VMware and my wifi card is not working. I’m using wifi card which is having realtek chipset. Backtrack 5 finds the card and recognize the chipset as well but when I try to scan for wireless networks around me. It is not able to find any wireless network around me .there are lot of open wireless network around my place. Can anyone help me? I’m using windows 7 ultimate x64 bit.

Re: Can't get my wifi to work in backtrack 5?

Hey dude I was also facing exactly similar problem. I imagine that your card is an included card and VMware can only support USB wifi cards, if you immediately wish to use the wifi to connect to a network and not use airodump-ng, you can connect with the host Operating System and just try to use bridged network mode hope this will help you to find out the other wireless network available in your place.

You possibly will not contain a wireless card that supports monitor mode or packet injection out-of-the-box on Backtrack 5. Run airmon-ng start [whatsoever iwconfig says is your wireless device] to observe if your wireless card will resolve and will go into monitor mode. Presumptuous it goes into monitor mode, run airplay-ng –test mon0 to see if your card determine and accomplish packet injection. If you plan to do a put with wireless, try to buy good wireless card which support backtrack 5.

According to my friend post all the virtualization application needs to have absolute power over a network interface to utilize it, so except for a hard drive or live unetbootin install you are going to need to go through USB. Just make sure if follow g this route than you have to get a USB network interface card that is fully compatible with Backtrack 5, and save yourself a lot of time. Hope this information helped you.

I think your running live cd of backtrack 5 If so, you first have to run the networking process or wickcd than hunt for wireless networks but it should be supported by backtrack 5 .not all realtek card are supported by backtrack 5 .If you are in a row from hard Drive installation, possibly your networking card is not supported. Best of lucks.

Hello everyone I’m also beginner in Linux as well as backtrack I m also facing this problem with my wireless card but I read that I need an usb wireless network card to use wifi in backtrack 5 in VMware. But when I try to verify the interface using airmon-ng .it is just blank interface and doesn’t show up anything. I think Backtrack 5 on VMware can’t use the default wifi card of my laptop.im really just a beginner.

First you have to know that your wifi card is recognized and network service is running .once it is done you can check your card. If you had dual book installation, Network Service starts automatically.
    Starting network services:
    Code:
    xxx@bt>/etc/init.d/networking start (if you use Networking Manager, wich is not used in BT5)
    xxx@bt>/etc/init.d/wicd start (if you use Networking Manager, used by BT5)
    xxx@bt>ifconfig
    xxx@bt>lspci | grep Network (Internal wifi card, pci) (lspci means to "LS list PCI pci = lspci)
    xxx@bt>lsusb (list all USB) Look up if you see your usb wifi card..
    You can also check the driver and see if it has been loaded:
    xxx@bt>lsmod | grep ieee80211 (if it uses ieee80211 stack) But trt this option first
    xxx@bt>lsmod | grep mac80211 (if it uses mac80211 stack)
    Then try this one.

Atleast this way u you can verify whats going inside your card. If interface or module is not present than your wifi card is not supported. Try to figure out what is going on just try above commands. Backtrack 5 is based in debian with kernel 2.6.xx .you can find all troubleshooting from aircrack –ng website. With backtrack 5 u can do two things in aircrack: Place the wifi card in Monitor Mode and being able to inject traffic. If driver is not fixed, you will not be able to make use of the suite as planned. Also in the aircrack page you can download the Patch and apply it to you wifi card, and compile it physically with the kernel, as extended as wifi card is supported. This is the benefit Backtrack 5 give you in the middle of others, drivers patched to use them with the aircrack suite. You saved lot of time and I hope above solution helps you out.

i am having problem with usb belkin wireless adaptor on BT5 wen iam using vmware it conect to it; but when i am on bt5 wen u type in the airmon-ng it do show up the card info it stay blank also no mon0 info as well to see if it monitoring i tried it on 3 diff vmware to corect this prob i folowed the youtube video on this it looks lick it my usb wless adaptor but bt5 shoul have all the drivers 4 this my usb wless adaptor is a belkin f5d8053v6 can some 1 help because i am new to all this.

Quote Originally Posted by willieh66 View Post
    i am having problem with usb belkin wireless adaptor on BT5 wen iam using vmware it conect to it; but when i am on bt5 wen u type in the airmon-ng it do show up the card info it stay blank also no mon0 info as well to see if it monitoring i tried it on 3 diff vmware to corect this prob i folowed the youtube video on this it looks lick it my usb wless adaptor but bt5 shoul have all the drivers 4 this my usb wless adaptor is a belkin f5d8053v6 can some 1 help because i am new to all this.
    I think that you have to check the Aircrack website for compatibility with your card's chipset. I think you need to patch the kernel to get it to work. You can also check some suggestions given in this similar kind of topic here - After changing Mac address in backtrack 5 airmon-ng not able to find any interface

Quote Originally Posted by Wafeeq View Post
    Hello everyone I’m also beginner in Linux as well as backtrack I m also facing this problem with my wireless card but I read that I need an usb wireless network card to use wifi in backtrack 5 in VMware. But when I try to verify the interface using airmon-ng .it is just blank interface and doesn’t show up anything. I think Backtrack 5 on VMware can’t use the default wifi card of my laptop.im really just a beginner.
    and my wifi is atheros AR9285 send solution to my email jothiprakash87@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by jothiprakash87 View Post
    and my wifi is atheros AR9285 send solution to my email jothiprakash87@gmail.com
    If you are having a Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01) then you can use the mac80211 ath9k drivers for getting it work.