Thread: can’t modify XORG log?

can’t modify XORG log?

I had done 1sof and the file is open in root. I’m in root and I want to go back to old XORG.CONF as Xorg.0.log is being deleted tried Xorg.0.log.old Xorg.0.log in the directory but it show input/output error. Do I need old XORG log? I want to upgrade XFCE 4.2.4 to 4.40. Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to solve this? I will be very much thankful to the person who ever solve my problem. Please share your views on it. Thank you.

Re: can’t modify XORG log?

What your using Fedora/REDHAT? Boot in command line mode login as root and then execute system configuration display to create a new XORG.CONF file. This will help you. Can any one help me I had change the name of CONF.OLD file to conf and then start X and its show Cannot open log file /VAR/log/Xorg.0.log I had reinstall my operating system MYAH operating system installation disc but the problem still persist .

Try this code if you are in root touch /VAR/log/xorg.0.log and if it still doesn’t work then try this code CHMOD –R 777 /VAR/log/xorg.0.log. MYAH Operating system is much less popular maybe that’s why command doesn’t work properly. According to my knowledge MYAH OS is slack ware based and I’m not much familiar with it. Hope all your problem will be solve by this and everything start working like before.

Xorg.0.log file will not affect your graphical user interface (GUI). Changing permission will not fix the GUI. That file will not affect your MIS-configured XORG.CONFIG so nothing will change if you delete it. It will automatically generated by x server when u restart you computer. According to me editing or creation of new log file will not going to solve your problem. Try to search in Google hopes your problem will get solve.

Even I was having the same problem it couldn’t find file Xorg.0.log so just touch it not only that update the time stamps and check if the file exist or no. if it doesn’t exist then change the permission of file so that XORG write to it. This is what the log file does with GUI. XORG.CONFIG configures X and log file error occur. It will surely help you a lot. Hope your issue is solved by this.