Thread: Unable to perform the CHKDSK stuck at 10 % on stage 4.

Unable to perform the CHKDSK stuck at 10 % on stage 4.

I have a windows xp pc. From past few days my system is working extremely slow. I am not able to figure out the reason behind this. I ran chkdsk after a few time time interval to find whether there is any problem with my hard drive or not. But this time chkdsk stopped at 10%. It is not moving ahead. I want some help here to fix this thing. I hope there is no major issue in the system.

Re: Unable to perform the CHKDSK stuck at 10 % on stage 4.

If chkdsk is stuck at a point then it means there is some issue with the hard drive. You have to use some third party tool for the same. You can use HDDTest. This tool will give you more detail about the health status. If you find any error in the report then it means your drive is dying. You have to simply take backup and replace the drive. But if there is nothing shown in the test report then it means the drive is ok, the issue lies with the OS.

Boot your system in safe mode. There are chances some background process is affecting chkdsk output. It will be better above if you follow the above advice. Just download and install any third party software and run that in your pc. This will be quiet easy for you to find what is causing the issue and you can also determine your hard drive is healthy or not. Defrag your hard drive once and check back.

If the default chkdsk in your system is not working then you can try using Smart Chkdsk Utility. This tool is similar to chkdsk in your system. But it is a bit advance. It happens that sometime the internal system files and utilities are damage. You can use third party software in place of that to fix this problem. Disk Defragmentation is not going to help much if there are bad sectors in your hard drive.