Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

4K sector partition in Gentoo

Operating Systems

Old 02-06-2011

4K sector partition in Gentoo

Well recently I have purchased a laptop with the 4K sector with Advanced Format Drive. I know that we need to use drive really carefully. All the partition should be start with the multiple of the 8. But still I am unable to deal with the logical partition. Is the logical partition should be start with sector of the multiple of 8? Should I use ext4 or ext3? Let me know if you are having any specific information on this particular matter. Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 02-06-2011

Re: 4K sector partition in Gentoo

Looking at the matter at a first glance you can do emerging parted by using the following piece of code.
Code:
# parted --script /dev/sda mklabel gpt 
# parted --align=min --script ${1} mkpart primary 0% 100% 
# parted --script /dev/sda print
The mklabel gpt would create a GPT style partition table with the bigger disk space. ?align option would be helpful to align the partition according to requirement of yours.
Old 02-06-2011

In Gentoo file system are using 4K blocksizes. All the storage layers which is below the filesystem have to be 4K aligned so it would end up with the 4K aligned on the physical disk of the hard disk of yours. you need to check the layout of the partition with cfdisk and you need to verify the 4K alignment with sfdisk. You should specify the size of the block into the bytes and the valid size are 1024, 2048 and 4096 bytes each block.
Old 02-06-2011

Well I let you know that the parted thing did not work for me at all. In the scenario of sector multiple of 8 is working with the alignment of 4K. one sector would consist of 512 bytes and 8 sector make 4K. there is no issue of container which is associated with the logical partition. You should have align _all_ partitions which would contain the actual file system or swap. I am using GPT partition so that I am using parted on the system of mine.
Old 02-06-2011

If you are supposed to neglect the above mentioned thing than mke2fs block-size would heuristically determined the file system size and the expected usage of the file system. In case the block size is seems to be negative then mke2fs would use the heuristics to identify the proper block size with the condition that block size of the minimum block size. The information which I have mentioned over here would be useful for the blocksize which are of the multiple of 2K.
Old 03-06-2011

From past long years hardware devices was using 512 byte sectors. There was no particular reason why filesystem was using such a small sector. It is well known the small sector would need more metadata in order to track the number of bytes. So there is trade of is existing between the creation of the sector and memory space which has been waste by the metadata. Or making the sector so big so there would be unacceptable amount of the space.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,