Thread: Getting kernel compile error when using genkernel while installing Gentoo

Getting kernel compile error when using genkernel while installing Gentoo

I am looking to install Gentoo on the laptop of mine. I have managed to get to the kernel complie stage while installing the doc to get easy way into the genkernel tool to make thing running. I tried couple of times to install Gentoo on the computer of mine but it seems to be generating an error message on the system of mine. Let me know if you are aware of anything which I can use to fix the matter of mine. Any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Getting kernel compile error when using genkernel while installing Gentoo

I want to some basic information which would be useful to find out the root cause of the problem. Well let me know about the hardware configuration of the computer of yours. have you ever installed any version of Linux on computer? Well you told me that you are getting an error message on the computer while installing the OS so post the entire error message which you are getting on the computer of yours. I am waiting for the prompt replies of yours.

I am suspecting that the problem which you are facing might be happening due to hardware issue. I mean to say overheating might be the root cause of the problem. Also I am suggesting following command which you should execute before you begin with the usage of genkernel.
    Code:
    make clean
    this particular command would clear the directory and all the faulty binary files on the system of yours. it would prevent the usage of the faulty binary files at the time of installation.

Well I was having the same problem which you have mentioned over here and I have managed to find out the root cause of the problem. The defaualt setting of genkernel kernel is looking to use lzma to compress the kernel. Into stage 3 there is no provision for the lzma. You will be able emerge lzma and/or xz-utils when you are at the chroot before we run genkernel all. Also you can run the genkernel --menuconfig all and simply change the compression mode to gzip.

According to me there would be setting on the kernel which would prompt that there is an effect on the prevent external firmware from being built. You should select that option and you would get the iwlwifi ucode from the portage. You should go for Device Drivers and click on the Generic Driver Option and you will have the option PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD. I am hoping that it would be useful to make the thing working or not.

I am suggesting following thing which you should try and see whether it is working or not.
    You should boot the CD and use the following command on the terminal.
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo 
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot 
    mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc 
    mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev 
    chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash 
    env-update 
    source /etc/profile 
    export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
    you have to enter chroot.
    Code:
    ls -l /boot
    now you should run the following command on the terminal.
    Code:
    genkernel all
    So try the same I am hoping that it would be helpful to you.