Thread: Getting read only attributes everywhere after re installing windows server 2008

Getting read only attributes everywhere after re installing windows server 2008

In one forgettable incident my server crashed as well as burnt so for that I needed to reinstall the windows server 2008 in it, after reinstalling I noticed that me being as a administrator can access each and every file but other normal users are only getting the files as read only well the other attributes are not at all getting activated for the other users the situation is quite strange for e in spite of setting the other attributes for the other users then also the users are getting to see the read only attributes sounds quite strange, can you all please explain it to me as if what can be the problem here?

Re: Getting read only attributes everywhere after re installing windows server 2008

I suppose you must be well aware of the method if changing the properties of the files or so, in case if you are not aware then let me inform you that you can change the properties by right clicking on the file and going to its properties so that’s what I think you must know and click on the other attributes say read and write or write only and then make sure that you apply the changes for it that will solve out the issue for you. So just try it as of now I don’t know whether you have tried the same solution or not but still it was a good reference for you.

Re: Getting read only attributes everywhere after re installing windows server 2008

Yes I agree with the above user and also one more thing the above user has missed out in the above posts see while setting up the attributes to the folder or the file then one important thing that we will have to look at is that you will be getting to see an option in the properties section which says that ‘Apply changes to this folder only’, so make sure that you click on it accordingly if you want to exercise the rights because there is one more options which says ‘Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files’.

I have got one solution for you which I think would be the perfect solution for you in this situation see the solution is that go to the command prompt and in there type the command as attrib /?. So once you have typed the command make sure that you know the location of the test files from which you want to remove the read only attributes so the exact syntax of the command that you will be adding in the command prompt is attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>, so suppose if you are having a hello folder which is in C drive, then you will have to use attrib -r +s c:\hello.

Ok thanks for the solution that really worked out for me so i was not knowing about this solutions thanks that you all did gave it here now it has really helped here with the problem so thanks for letting em know about the solutions much appreciate your efforts for sorting out the issue for me. You guys are true genius you have helped me out in the every situation so that's what i want to say here. I hope all this solution does helps everyone in solving out the solution for you.