Thread: Services at startup freezes while booting Ubuntu

Services at startup freezes while booting Ubuntu

I am using Ubuntu 7.04 which is not working properly. It was fine before and then after that it started freezing on startup. When I turned it on it freezes at start and nothing worked. I have a dual boot system. I use Windows XP also on the second part to keep my system secure and to avoid data loss. So I just choose linux to check some programs. The desktop loads for sometime but nothing happens after that. I do not know how to fix this, as I am not much in Linux. I need help for the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: Services at startup freezes while booting Ubuntu

In Windows when you tried to open large applications it makes wide use of memory and hard drive. And you must also note that the 2 operating systems do not perform the same use of resources. You may also have damaged an area of memory or on your drive which is is not good for the normal use of windows and linux on the same. So for that you can use a bootable cd which can check the status of your hard drive to fix any bad sector or issue.

Remember to test your hard drive using hdparm. In any case, you ca make sure that it hangs around Ubuntu. It is often recommended that in graphical environment you can restart the same by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Backspace. If the same fails then try typing Ctrl + Alt + F1. This will take you to the command console and then you access the ROOT account. Here you can use killall which is the kill process to stop all the services that is running in the background of Linux. If problems persist, then you would better starts in text mode and from then sets the same in graphical environment.

At first sometime beginning in the graphic mode can cause crash in your system. You can simply run in text mode and use command to configure Linux. Basically it is not tough to re-install the same back again. You can use the bootable disc for the same. Run it and update all your patches and then check back. Use text mode instead which at least gives a lot more working support and it is necessary to block all services in graphical mode.

Linux based system also freezes under some circumstances. I suffered any crashes, but very rare and only occurred when using Linux distros. Now for the experience of using this sequence I think it easier for normal users, is just use Alt + SysRq + R, then Alt + SysRq + S, optionally Alt + SysRq + U, and finally Alt + SysRq + B or Pressing the reset button on the PC. As for less experienced users will be very difficult to return to start the process terminated or killed with Alt + SysRq + E and Alt + SysRq + I.

Also if possible do try CTRL + ALT + F1 to see that by any chance you can get an option to get in the console. Once you entered then try to run the kill process. And if this does not work then run this command to restart # / etc / init.d / gdm restart. I really spent a couple of times that of the hanging of ubuntu and I used another way to solve it, press Ctrl + Alt + F2 and enter the console from there and type sudo shutdown-r now restarts the system ready and as usual.