Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

I cannot mount the root file system

Operating Systems

Old 02-06-2011

I cannot mount the root file system

I wanted to test recorder on my system. For that I am using the most recent version of linux and its updates. I had created the directory on the USB stick for the same. If I want to create the rootfsimage now I am getting the following connection error Could not create rootfs or mount. I tried doing the settings back again after sometime but still does not work. What to do to fix this errors. The issue lies with some kind of disc reading which I am using.

Old 02-06-2011

Re: I cannot mount the root file system

I think your external drive is is NTFS, did you installed the packages via Synaptic ntfs-3g and ntfs-config. Go and find those packages and then you will need to go in Applications > System Tools and there you can find NTFS Configuration Tool. Click on the same to configure the drive which you are using. If you had done all settings properly then you will simply not face the same error which you are getting now.
Old 02-06-2011

I had face some similar kind of problem which was fixed after some kind of troubleshooting. I had rebooted after the installation of a new hard disk on my system and the same was shown well. I had dual boot my system with Windows xp where at first restart I faced NTLDR missing error. then I searched on net for the error issue and found some solutions. Those worked for a while. I then installed Linux and similar error. I found that this is causing due to some bad sectors in the drives which is not allowing to overwrite files.
Old 02-06-2011

Did you have built support for your file system and IDE as integrated into the kernel. Go in terminal and run Run gconf-editor in a terminal. Then go to system > storage > volumes. And then go for right mount_point value. There you can get two option or you can delete it. You can also automatically mount on / media / xxxx. Or you put a mount point name. You can also check the same by going in volume and finding folders named with different names of files.
Old 02-06-2011

Linux has a system called ext2 but can manage others. The list is provided in /proc/filesystems. The user can therefore access to other Linux file systems such as DOS, vfat, from a device or imported by the network. This is how does this works and there is not major issue. You might need to learn the filesystem of your operating system that works or not. As with everything the user file, all filesystems regardless of physical location must be integrated into the unique logical tree of the Linux system.
Old 02-06-2011

The issue can be related to hardware also. You have to check properly that the drive which you are using is properly formatted so that Linux can read it. As with everything the user file, all file systems regardless of physical location must be integrated into the unique logical tree of the Linux system. In some cases it may be necessary to extend the file system on a new hard drive or partition is recovered. The init process executed at startup, after loading the kernel checks file systems reported in the table file and makes possible their automatic mounting.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,