Thread: In Gentoo starting services freezes at boot while loading

In Gentoo starting services freezes at boot while loading

I purchased a PC last year. I normally use the PC for the gaming, internet surfing, downloading movies and especially chatting. I recently installed OS Gentoo on PC104 geode. I am making use of kernel-2.6.36-gentoo-r5. But I came across the strange issue while accessing the PC. When I restart the system it suddenly hangs while it loads services. But when I use the interactive console my system works fine without any issue. It also allows me to start the services manually, but if I turn off the PC and again restart it then again I noticed the same issue. Is anyone aware about such issues? If yes then please do the needful.

Re: In Gentoo starting services freezes at boot while loading

The issue that you have posted is complicated. It is very difficult for me to overcome such issues because I am Windows user. I haven’t used Gentoo in my system so I am not familiar with its functioning. Your issue is related to Gentoo OS so it very difficult for me to solve the issue. If you had an issue related to Windows then I would have solved it out. So I won’t be able to provide the suggestions that you need to solve your issue. May be some else can solve your issue.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. Very few people have encountered such issues before but it has been solved. To overcome the issue I would recommend you to execute the following command:
    grep -i sysfs /usr/src/linux/.config
    . After that check if CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y or CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=m. If the value is either y or m then return to edit kernel menuconfig to general setup. After that enable the sysfs features to sustain old userspace tools. Finally recompile and recopy the kernel to solve the issue.

I am very grateful to you for interacting with me to overcome the issue. I tried a lot to solve the issue but failed to do that. I also performed all the steps that were mentioned by you but that was not successful. I don’t know why it didn’t work out. Even after recompiling the kernel the issue remained the same as it was initially. I also executed all the commands that I knew but it was of no use. Are you aware about some solutions to overcome the issue? If yes then please help me out.

It is quite an interesting issue that you have posted. I will try my level best to overcome the issue if possible. According to me such issues are normally due to internal errors in your system. Such issues are sometimes very complicated to solve. To overcome the issue I would recommend you to get your entire system updated. After your system is updated then start you system and check if you system still gets hanged while loading starting services. I think you issue will be solved once you update the system.

I know that such issues are irritating. After carrying out a emerge -uDva --newuse @world your issue will be solved. I suppose it is an issue because of an incomplete relocation. I also encountered the issue in my system previously. As booting and manually running services helped me .But while testing smb the service blocked responding the start/stop/restart requests, and started functioning with them after using rc, which returned me to the interactive startup prompt. This is how I solved my issue you can also try it out.

Thanks a lot for all the responses and suggestions that you have given me to surmount the issue. Your suggestion helped me a lot to solve the issue. Previously I had discussed this issue with my colleagues but they could not assist me to surmount the issue. You are the first person who supported and helped me. I performed all the steps that were specified by you and it was successful. The issue that was irritating me has been solved now. It was not possible to solve the issue without your advice.