Thread: Where to download and save the stage 3 tarball

Where to download and save the stage 3 tarball

Yesterday I have got a laptop in which I have installed the gentoo on it. Currently I'm utilizing sysresc cd and I consider that links is not fraction of sysresc. At this moment I have right of entry toward the internet, and can download the tarball. The only tempting question is roaring in my mind is where do save it? There are only 2 options I have and they are:
    • filesystem
    • root

I've formed the 3 partitions on my HDD and allocated filesytems to each one.

Re: Where to download and save the stage 3 tarball

With the intention of install Gentoo, we should download the stage3 tarball and unload it into ‘/mnt/gentoo‘. Let’s modify our present directory toward ‘/mnt/gentoo‘.
    Code:
    cd /mnt/gentoo
    The stage3 tarball is positioned within Gentoo website. You can make use of ‘links‘ (which is a kind of text-based gentoo web browser) to find the way the website and download the required file.

I verified and following that burned the CD, devoid of receiving rig off the trouble. What did assist, however, was escalating the partitions intended for /root as well as /boot toward /mnt/gentoo. I expect I did fine there, seeing as thi wasn't declared inside the handbook (otherwise I should have unnoticed it quite a few times). Expect I will be capable to install it all, currently!

chrooting is inflowing a latest environment via altering the root directory ‘/‘ to an additional selected one. That is, whereas you’re currently utilizing the Gentoo Minimal Installation disc (otherwise anything internet-associated Linux distribution you’re on), you can go into the Gentoo atmosphere you have simply formed otherwise essentially whichever environment (not simply Gentoo). Following chrooting, you can precede running on the terminal just similar to if you’re actually within a terminal into that environment. Previous to chrooting, we must arrange the /proc plus /dev filesystems and duplicate the DNS info in order that following chrooting, Gentoo will at rest be connected toward internet.

I hear numerous Linux guys make use of the word ‘mount‘what is mounting? Within Linux, mounting a filesystem is joining that filesystem toward a file hierarchy. As a result you can join whichever partition (through a filesystem) to whichever directory formed within your Linux system. You need to create folders which don’t exist. After that you can save it toward the root of the formed filesystem, which must be mounted by the side of /mnt/gentoo next to the phase of the installation.

You must download the portage snapshot and unload it. Portage is the pack up administration system that Gentoo utilize. Portage snapshot is a compilation of files that notify Portage scheme what software’s obtainable in order to install. (Ensure you’re at rest in the similar directory ‘/mnt/gentoo‘). Stir up ‘links‘once more to the mirrors page. Choose the adjacent mirror toward you, set out to ‘snapshots/‘ folder and download portage-latest.tar.bz2. On one occasion, you have downloaded the snapshot, discharge it.
    Code:
    tar xvjf portage-latest.tar.bz2 -C ./usr
    Now you can configure it by the use of compile option.