Thread: Error at checkpoint in Dell dimension 4550

Error at checkpoint in Dell dimension 4550

I purchased a PC Dell dimension 4550 in 2003. Yesterday while booting my PC I came across a strange issue. When I booted my PC it displayed an error saying that “Warning! Problems checkpoint [nnn]”. I heard an exceptional sound at the beginning that eventually displayed the error message. After the message is been displayed the machine goes to Windows and begins normally. Then after that a couple times the power suddenly ejected and the machine shut-downs suddenly. If I press the power button to switch it on the same thing happens again. Is anyone aware about such issues? If yes then please do the needful.

Re: Error at checkpoint in Dell dimension 4550

The issue that you have posted is quite interesting. Very few people have encountered such issues before. I don’t have much knowledge about such issues still I will try my level best to help you out. According to me this issue is related to problems with power supply. I don’t know the exact solution to overcome such issues. To solve the issue I would recommend you to consult a hardware professional and discuss this issue. He will surely solve the issue

I am very grateful to you for interacting with me to overcome the issue. As you advised me to consult a hardware professional I did that but it was no use. That person was not aware about such issues. He said that the issue is due to some internal errors in the system and it is not a hardware problem. After that I tried to find out the exact cause for the issue but I failed to do that. Are you aware about some other solution to overcome the issue? If yes then please help me out.

The issue which is posted is complicated. Before proceeding further to overcome the issue I would like to know some other information about your PC. I just wanted to know about the operating system installed in your system. Is there any antivirus software installed in your system? If yes then tell me about that software. After you provide me the information that I need only then I can suggest you how to solve the current issue.

I will surely provide you the information that you need. The operating system installed in my system is Windows XP and I have also installed an antivirus software know as Norton Security. I tried a lot to overcome the issue but nothing changed, the same issue used to occur again. The information that you needed is posted by me. Now please provide the necessary solution so that I can overcome such issue and I will see to it that I won’t face such issue in future.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. The issue seems to be complicated. There can many reasons for such issues. As the machine is too old so the first thing that I would suggest you is to try to swap the CMOS battery. It is a CR2032 batting which I usually available in places that vend watch batteries. Put down the system battery for half an hour and just after you remove the old battery with the PC switched off, press and hold the power button for 5 ~ 10 seconds. Try to do that and inform me about the consequences.

Thanks a lot for all the responses and recommendation that you have given me to overcome the issue. I used the battery replacement procedure which was listed on the Website of Dell Company. After performing the replacement the issue never occurred it was solved. Your solution helped me a lot to solve the issue. Previously I had discussed this issue with my colleagues but they could not help me to overcome the issue. You are the first person who supported and helped me. I will surely take precautions to avoid such issue in future.