Thread: “fn” Key stuck on HP Pavilion dv6 with Windows 7

“fn” Key stuck on HP Pavilion dv6 with Windows 7

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop that I bought just few months back. Since then, I have been encountering a lot of problems while using it. I somehow managed to solve most of the problems, but one problem still remains. All the keys on my laptop seem to be working just fine, except the “fn key”. It seems to be stuck. The case is that, I don’t have to press the fn key to increase or decrease the brightness, to mute, play, etc. Those functions work automatically. Those controls don’t require to be pressed by me, they work on their own. It really creates a mess and I am not able to work peacefully. There is always some action going on in my laptop. So, I would really appreciate if anyone finds a solution for this problem.

Re: “fn” Key stuck on HP Pavilion dv6 with Windows 7

To solve your problem you need to change the” fn” settings in the BIOS. Follow these steps to make the changes:
    1. Reboot and switch on your laptop.
    2. Press the “f10 key”. The BIOS setup window will open.
    3. You will see several options when you open that window. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.
    4. Now, you will find these five sub-options: Language, Virtualization Technology, Fast Charge Mode, Action Keys Mode and Boot Options.
    5. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option and then press Enter. You will find a menu displaying two options: Enabled and Disabled.
    6. You can select the desired mode you want.
    Disabled option will require pressing fn key + f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action key.
    Enabled option will require pressing only f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action keys.
    7. Now, press f10 key to save the settings and the reboot your laptop.
    Now, you are free of the fn key problem, and can use your function keys as you want.

If you are unable to change the fn settings from the BIOS, then try to use your on-screen keyboard. To access your on-screen keyboard you need to follow these steps:
    1. Click on the Start button and then go to All Programs.
    2. Go to Accessories and click Ease of Access.
    3. You will see the On-Screen Keyboard option, click on that.
    4. Now, you will be able to use your On-Screen Keyboard and I hope this helps for you.
    You can also try this method: Press shift + num lock. This will toggle the fn feature.

As laptop is a hardware device, the best way to solve any hardware problem is to reboot it. I also had a similar problem and I followed these steps and it worked for me. Here are the easy steps to follow:
    1. Shut down your laptop.
    2. After you shutdown, just unplug your laptop from the power source.
    3. Now, remove the battery of the laptop.
    4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds and put back the battery inside the laptop.
    5. Now, plug your laptop to the power supply and switch it on.
    Your, laptop will work just fine now without any problem.