Thread: How can we store two blocks in one sector?

How can we store two blocks in one sector?

Hi, I have disk related problem. Bye the way I am a student of B.TECH. This year is my second semester. I have keen desire to know about the hardware and operating system. But I don’t have time for exploring on the net. I want to know about the difference between the block size and the sector size of in a hard disk. And also I want to know how can we store two blocks in a one sector? If anyone familiar with problem then please give suitable answer.

Re: How can we store two blocks in one sector?

I think the path size depends on the density of the disc. It may differ between disks even of the equal size in GB.When a configure function sets the block size, it is truly just setting the number of sectors per block. As I said earlier, a sector is 512B; therefore if you place the building block size to "4096", you are telling four sectors for each block. So you can see the answer on this problem. I hope that you will satisfy with my reply, if you have still any doubt then you can ask me.

According to me it noised like an examination paper question. Let me provide you a not so fine clue, that will still permit you to appreciate it, and answer the question yourself. A block is made of a only one, or a number of sectors. To be of a legal size, a block must fit the following formula:
    Block size = Sector size * n
    All you want to do is plug in the numbers, and if n comes out as an integer, the block size is legal. If it comes out as a part, or with a decimal; it is not applicable.

In my knowledge I have never listened of having a block something like that size; 8 * 4K sectors are general. Neither, although, do I have information of it not being probable to span a block across tracks. I would be disposed to say no though. Maybe the motive is more to do with mechanical uselessness. If the platter is spinning, in order for a block to be accessed over a number of tracks, the head would have to be continuously moving too, just to right of entry that single block.

I would suggest you that you should use the formula for knowing the two blocks in one sector. This very suitable and correct way to know the solution of this problem. You can follow formula of the first post. Otherwise if you want to know more about this problem. Then you will have to go on Google. And also you will have to invest some time on it. Then there you will get the answer in detailed. Otherwise formula is sufficient for this thing. As I know.

When data is stored up on a hard drive, it is done so concentrically from the middle, in tracks. A band of one said track is a sector. Each sector have 512 bytes (That is, 4096 "1"s and "0"s). A block is a set of sectors which the Operating system can address; or "point to". Sector, even though if the block have just a single sector, then they would be identical. For all intents and purposes, a sector is smaller. But attempt not to think of them as units of quantity.