Thread: Under Linux how to control the fan speed?

Under Linux how to control the fan speed?

Recently I loaded Ubuntu 9.10 on my computer and don’t know why but I can’t control the fan speed of my 4850. I founded many articles on the web showing you how to control that but none of that worked for me don’t know why. I just want to make it slow because it has started making sounds and that is really irritating it’s like when you play some really high end graphic game on your computer. So please let me know if there is any application which can be used for that or else if I have to do it manually.

Re: Under Linux how to control the fan speed?

I am also using ubuntu and never faced such issue. But I just wrote this script in my Zsh shell and I am giving it to you just run this script and let me know if it works for you. It will just set the speed of the fan to 40% which will just fan the chip and doesn’t make any sound. And it will be on auto mode.
    fans
    Code:
    if [ $1 ] ; then
            aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature | tail -n1 | awk '{print "Current temp: " $5}' ;
            aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 $1" ;
        else
            aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-gettemperature | tail -n1 | awk '{print "Current temp: " $5}' ;  
            aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 auto" ;
       fi

For your card are you using the “restricted” fglrx drivers? And is the driver loaded correctly and working? Because Ubuntu 9.10 uses the open-source xorg-video-radeon driver as default and this driver does not work with anticonfig. Some cards do not allow the speed of the fan to be customized. My friend has Powercolor HD 3850 the fan of this always ran at 100% due to the design choices of the manufacturer. Aticonfig could set the fan set the speed of the fan only in the display of the aticonfig but the fan always ran at 100%.I had an Artic Cooling Accelero S1rev2 that kept that helped keeping that card below 50 C even at the full load. The only thing that you won’t like is the fan is quite large. A Zalman Vf900 is a good smaller cooler for that GPU.

Follow this to control the fan speed. Make a profile in the catalyst after turning the overdrive on and confirm that the sure clock and the settings of the memory are correct. For Vista – Go to the following location and open the following file for editing “C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML” The name of the XML file would be same as that of the catalyst profile that you saved. Right click and hit the edit button. For XP – Just go to the following location and open the mentioned File for editing “C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML”. The XML file will have the same name as that of the Catalyst Profile you just saved. Right click->edit. Now just scroll down the page until you get the following lines in the XML file: <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0"> <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" /> </Feature> <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0"> <Property name="Want" value="0" /> </Feature> <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0"> <Property name="Want" value="23" />. Then change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual" Then Change the "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed. Then save the file then reload the profile you have just edited in the CCC. And you are done.