Thread: The target drive letter is not obtained by recovery C: drive

The target drive letter is not obtained by recovery C: drive

I have this laptop Sony VAIO VGN-FZ 150E. When I turn it on the screen appears in the DOS format and recommends turning the recovery program on. But when I chose to recover c: drive, then it gives this error message “could not obtain the target drive letter.” Even the BIOS setting is default and untouched. Please let me know what is wrong over here and what possibly could be done to stop this. I even tried to repair it using the windows DVD the repairing process goes well and when the laptop is restarted the same problem is repeated again. I am tired of this and really get my laptop up and running so guys please help me with this.

Re: The target drive letter is not obtained by recovery C: drive

If the C Drive is not found then likely one of the two reasons could be there: Partition error for this you can try running the hard disk diagnostic test and if this test passes on the hard disk drive then try a complete system recovery which will restore the C drive to factory specs but be sure to try and backup the data before you proceed because if you restore the drive all your data on that drive will be lost. Second thing is the hard drive error here if you run hardware diagnostics and if it fails or if you get a message stating the drive size is too small for the partition. In this case of hardware issue you have to contact the Sony service repair. If it is a software related issue and you do not have a copy of the recovery discs with you then you can get one from the Sony sales.

I had a Sony VAIO laptop a few months back and one night my laptop crashed and after that when I turned it on it took me to the VAIO recovery tools because something was wrong over there. Then I used the windows system restore there were no restore points created over there, I had used that option a few times back so I knew that there a couple of dates to which you can roll back but as it was completely blank so I cancelled it. Then I went to VAIO hardware diagnostics and I scanned the C drive to check if there was anything wrong there and then I scanned the E drive and there was nothing wrong in both the drives. So I went back to the VAIO restore tool and tried to restore the C drive but it failed with the error ‘task fail with error: -1’. So I went back and again scanned the C drive and again with the option to fix any errors but it came out clean. I don’t had warranty on this laptop and another thing I checked that it became really hot under the hard disk so I just replaced the hard disk and now I regularly run scans on my hard disk and defrag it regularly. So I will suggest you the same thing to replace your hard drive because it must have gone bad.

Sometimes this could also be happened due to the faulty memory. You can use the memory diagnostic tools available on the internet or else use the tool in the bios. If you are having two RAM’s then tries switching the memory slots or else tries using on memory at a time and then again try it with other slot. If it gives you error at any point of time then there are two possibilities that either your ram could be faulty or else on of the slots on the motherboard could be faulty. I n the second case you can use one slot without any problem. Try this and let me know if you need any more information.

I bought a new Sony Vaio laptop a few days back it’s VGN-FZ190N4. When I turned it on today it gave a alert message that “windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be cause” and gave me the option to launch the start up repair, I selected this option and it completed successfully. Then restarted the laptop and got the same error again. Then I selected the windows restore option, completed it successfully and again got the same error. Then I selected the computer restoration option it started and gave this error “Task failed with error: -1”. After this I tried repairing with the advanced boot options: Safe Mode: it worked till crcdisk.sys and then restarted the laptop, Safe Mode with networking: this was also like safe mode, Safe Mode with command prompt: same like safe mode. Then enable Boot Logging: this restarted the system and then just when I choose – disable automatic restart on system failure, it stopped and gave a blue screen. In the end I tried a windows xp cd to check the hardware. When I tried to setup windows xp, it alerted me saying setup didn’t find any hard disk drive installed in your computer. Please give me some advice what should I do now to get over this issue.