Thread: Unable to mount root partition as read-write in gentoo

Unable to mount root partition as read-write in gentoo

I recently purchased a laptop. I normally use this laptop for gaming, downloading movies, internet surfing and especially for chatting. The OS installed in my system is gentoo. But yesterday I came across strange issue while accessing my laptop. The issue that was noticed by me was that the root partition was not mounted read write during the restart. Kernel only mounts file system as read-only. It resulted in an unusable system. I tried to overcome this issue but failed to do that. Is anyone aware about this issue? If yes then please do the needful.

Re: Unable to mount root partition as read-write in gentoo

The issue that you have posted is complicated. I haven’t encountered such issues before in my laptop. You are the first person who has discussed such issues with me. I am a windows user so I don’t have much knowledge about gentoo. I haven’t used gentoo till now. So solving issues related to gentoo is a complicated task for me. If you had such issues in windows system then I could have easily solved it but now I won’t be able to provide you the suggestions that you need to overcome the issue. May be someone else can help you to solve the issue.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. The issue is not complicated it can be solved easily. There can be several reasons for such issues. To overcome the issue I would suggest you to enter the command: “mount -o remount,rw,exec rootfs /” when it mounts. After you execute this command now see if the root partition becomes read write. Your root partition will surely become read write with the help of this command. After that try to create an initrd to boot up. This suggestion will surely help you to overcome the issue.

I am very grateful to you for all the responses that you have given me to overcome the issue. those suggestions helped me a lot. I deleted a few init scripts from the boot run-level such as modules because I don’t use them. I also commented some lines in /etc/init.d/root. I restarted my system several times and everything was working fine. Finally I executed the command: “mount -o remount,rw,exec /dev/sdb2 /”. Now everything is fine but it is kind of inconvenient if you desire a fast boot.

The issue that you have posted is quite interesting. I will surely try to help you as much as I can. To solve the issue I would advise you to make sure that the smart self-tests are not implemented in the SSD firmware. If it is implemented then it is not an issue. The openrc might have choked on the idiosyncrasies of your setup. When you shutdown your system and restart it then "Self-Test Log" might appear empty. To overcome all the issues execute the command: “smartctl -t long -l selftest /dev/sdb”. After you perform all the specified changes then your system will be working fine as it used to work initially.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and responses that you have given me to overcome the issue. I performed all the steps and procedure that was specified by you. I came to know the exact cause of the issue and it has been resolved now. Previously I had discussed this issue with my colleagues but unfortunately they were not aware about such issues so they were unable to help me out. Without your help and support it was impossible for me to overcome this issue.