Thread: How to configure the Kernel in Gentoo without boot partition

How to configure the Kernel in Gentoo without boot partition

I recently purchased a laptop. The OS installed in that laptop is gentoo. I normally use laptop for chatting, gaming, downloading movies and internet surfing. In my laptop I don't have the boot partition. I follow the handbook from the gentoo website. I wanted to configure the kernal but I don’t know how to do that. I tried a lot but failed to configure the kernal. Is anyone aware about such issues? If yes then please do the needful.

Re: How to configure the Kernel in Gentoo without boot partition

The issue that you have posted is not complicated. You can easily configure the kernel without any boot partition. To configure the kernel you need to execute the following commands:
    # emerge genkernel
    # zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/kernel-config
    # genkernel all
    After you execute the following commands you will be able to configure the kernel.

I am very grateful to you for all the suggestions that you gave me to overcome the issue. To configure the kernel I executed all the commands that were specified by you but it didn’t work out. After I executed those commands I encountered an error displaying the message” * ERROR: Failed to compile the "bzImage" target”. I don’ know how to solve this error. I tried a lot but nothing worked out. Are you aware about this issue? If yes then please help me out.

After I read your post I came to know about your issue. If you are having genkernel 3.4.11 then it has an error in it. The error is that it automatically copies the config prior to running clean or mrpoper. It also deletes the .config and creates a new config. The command:
    “echo '=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.11 >> /etc/portage/package.mask “
    is used to mask 3.4.11 and run with 3.4.10.908. Never overwrite genkernel configs because it will be removed whenever you emerge genkernel. I personally execute the following commands: “kernel-config=/etc/kernels/kernel-config-$(uname -m)-$(uname -r)” and I don’t think uname-m works fine for x86 users. These are my suggestions related to your issue.

The issue seems to be quite complicated. But I will surely help you out to overcome the issue. There are some other commands using which you can overcome the issue. The commands that you need to execute are as follows:
    1. Initially use the command: “echo '=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.11 >> /etc/portage/package.mask” or “nano -w /etc/portage/package.mask”
    2. After that the second command you need to execute is: “=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.11”
    3. Finally use the command: “emerge genkernel”. After executing all the commands you will be able to configure the kernel as per your requirement.

I executed all the commands that were specified by you but still the error was not solved. This time another error was displayed. When I executed all the commands that were specified by you, the error that occurred was”/etc/portage/package.mask directory is not found“. I don’t know about this package in my system. Where can I get this masked package? I tried to resolve this issue but still failed to do that. Can you help me out with this issue? If yes then please do the needful.

There can be several reasons due to which you are facing this issue. To overcome this issue I can suggest you the two solutions that are mentioned below:
    1. If want your kernel to work then you need to follow the instructions that are specified in Gentoo’s website. It should work out so that you can get your system working.
    2. Second option is that you can try to configure the kernel manually. The guide for the same is also available in Gentoo’s website.
    Try out these solutions and it will surely overcome your issue.