Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Updating process not working in Gentoo

Operating Systems

Old 29-05-2011

Updating process not working in Gentoo

Hello friend, I have installed this Gentoo Linux on the last month and this is my first time to perform the update operations. I try to do this update this Gentoo OS and I got the error message. It shows the "Error: Package list contains sub packages and you canít install this same time on same systemĒ. I donít know the meaning of this message but I want to solve this trouble. Does this affect the previously installed system? Any help will be appreciates.

Old 29-05-2011

re: Updating process not working in Gentoo

The concept of upgrading Gentoo Linux is quite different compared to other Linux OS. All we know that it never contains the "classic" way of upgrading software. The different releases and profiles has to be contains the different instructions and hence there is different instructions present in every updated version of the Gentoo OS. Then I suggest you to check the downloaded or purchased update folder of the Gentoo. It holds the step by step process to perform the update task. Use it and it solve the trouble.
Old 29-05-2011

Hey dude, there is specific process to perform the update operations. If you are use the running all testing branch. There is also the talloc instruction to perform the task. You need to execute emerge -1 talloc instructions. After that execute emerge -uND world instructions. This two instructions works sometime to perform the update operations in the system. Then I think you need to try these instructions. Sometimes it works for the upgrade operations.
Old 29-05-2011

If you are trying these instructions and still you didnít find the correct solutions then you need to execute the specific instructions in the sequence. These instructions execute instead of the previous instruction. First execute emerge --unmerge mesa mesa-progs eselect-mesa instructions. After that you need to execute the rest of the instructions in the sequence. These instructions are emerge -1 talloc, emerge mesa, emerge -1 mesa mesa-progs eselect-mesa #if not pulled in by mesa, emerge -uND world. These four instructions are helpful to perform the update task on the system.
Old 30-05-2011

Re: Updating process not working in Gentoo

Sometimes this instructions work and there is possibility that this instruction are not work in the sometime. Then you need to use the other technique to perform the update operations in this complicated gentoo OS. Most of the time the setup files provide one more text file that contains the step by step process. Use the instructions present in this process. You can also use the manual of the OS. It helps to provide the upgrade instructions of the Gentoo.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,