Thread: Error 2 while compiling kernel in gentoo

Error 2 while compiling kernel in gentoo

I purchased a laptop hp pavillion dm3 last month. I normally use laptop for chatting, gaming, downloading movies and internet surfing. I installed the OS gentoo x64 in my laptop. But I came across a strange issue while compiling kernel in gentoo OS. When I was compiling genkernel it wasn’t working it used to display a message saying “Error 2”. I tried to compile the kernel several times but the same message used to be displayed. Is anyone aware about the issue? If yes then please help me out.

Re: Error 2 while compiling kernel in gentoo

The issue that you have encountered is complicated. As I am a Windows user so I don’t have much knowledge about gentoo. I haven’t worked on gentoo before this can be reason I am not having much knowledge about gentoo. Solving issues related gentoo OS is not easy for me. If you were facing this issue in windows OS then I would have surely solved your issue. But for this issue I won’t be able to provide the necessary suggestions that you need to overcome your issue. May be this time someone else can help you out.

It is quite an interesting issue that you have posted. I will surely try to help you out as much as I can. This issue can be due to some errors related to network card. To solve the issue I recommend you to emerge a ucode package depending on your network card. To know more about this issue you need to visit to gentoo website and over there you will come to know more about ucode package. After that link to hardware specification and you will come to know which wireless card it is. Tell me about the wireless card that you are using to give further advice to overcome your issue

I am very grateful for all the responses that you have advised me to solve the issue. I performed all the steps that you specified. I came to know about the wireless card that I am having. Atheros is the wireless card that I am currently using. I tried a lot to overcome this issue but failed to do that. I provided you the name of the wireless card that I am using, now tell me about the further steps that I should perform to solve this issue. Please try to provide me the solution as early as possible.

I will surely help you to overcome your issue. As you are not having complete knowledge about gentoo OS this can be reason you are finding this issue complicated. My advice to solve this issue is to un-merge all the ucode modules you emerged. After that download the Madwifi drivers for your laptop. MadWifi is one of the most sophisticated WLAN drivers accessible for Linux. It is constant and has an established userbase. The driver itself is open source. Finally try to compile your genkernal again. This time I think you won’t face the issue again that has been encountered by you.

Thanks for all the suggestions that you have given me to overcome the issue. I downloaded the Madwifi drivers as suggested by you. After that I again compiled the genkernal but it was of no use. When I compiled the kernel the same error was displayed that was occurring previously. I tried it several times but it wasn’t working. I also discussed this issue with my colleagues but they were not having knowledge about such issue. Are you aware about another solution to overcome this issue? If yes then please then tell me about it so that I will be able to overcome my issue.