Thread: How to run gentoo in virtualbox

How to run gentoo in virtualbox

I purchased a PC last month. I normally use PC for gaming, downloading movies, internet surfing and especially for chatting. I wanted to run gentoo inside virtualbox. But I don’t know how to do that. I tried a lot but failed to that. I don’t even know whether any extra thing needs to be done with kernel or modules to run gentoo in virtaualbox because that is where I want to install it. I just want to do that without causing any major damage. Is anyone aware about such issue? If yes then please do the needful.

Re: How to run gentoo in virtualbox

The issue that you have posted is quite interesting. I will surely try to help you as much as I can. I don’t have much knowledge about this issue but still I will try to resolve your issue. According to me I do not think you need something special to get started. The guest additions will be necessary if you intend to run Gentoo as a guest operating system that is fully integrated. Try to install and run the gentoo in your virtualbox again I don’t think you will face any error while doing so.

I am very grateful to you for all the response that you have given me to overcome the issue. I rebooted the laptop as specified by you after I installed the gentoo but the laptop wasn’t booting. The laptop did not show any boot medium. I tried to reboot several times but the same issue occurred. I don’t know why it is happening. I tried to find the actual cause for this but it was of no use. Are you aware about this issue? If yes then please tell me the necessary steps to solve this problem.

The issue that you have posted is not complicated. It is due to some errors in your PC. I think issue is related to boot loader. I think you have missed to install the boot loader in your laptop that can be the reason you are facing this issue. Install the boot loader in your PC to overcome the issue that you are currently facing. After you install the boot loader you won’t the current again. Try this out and inform me about the consequences.

I have the kernel which is loading now but it says that they are not block devices and something about not finding the root partition. I published the results of several tests to a place as specified by someone to do that. The rest of the information is in the same place. I don’t know what should me the further step that I need to perform to overcome my issue. Are you aware about it? If yes then please help me to overcome my issue.

I will surely try to overcome the issue if I can. If the kernel is loading but unable to find the root then it is possibly an error with the /etc/fstab file. If your kernel is loading then it is not due to a grub problem. If you are not able to post that then observe very cautiously at the path you place for root. Check the file system and make sure that it matches the actual system. It will look similar to the one specified below:
    /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime,noauto 1 2
    /dev/sda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1
    /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
    #/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0
    The blue text is what it should look like, the text in red are some common changes that take place. The noauto option stops the boot mount automatically for security, not a big problem on a machine vertial, but common. CD line interferes with the way self-assembly of a graphical user interface, so if you want to install one, it could also get rid of that line. This was my suggestions related to this issue. After this I think you can easily overcome your issue but knowing the exact cause of it.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and responses that you have given me to overcome the issue. I performed all the steps and procedure that was specified by you. I came to know the exact cause of the issue and it has been resolved now. Previously I had discussed this issue with my colleagues but unfortunately they were not aware about such issues so they were unable to help me out. Without your help and support it was impossible for me to overcome this issue.