Thread: How to install gentoo on Android chroot

How to install gentoo on Android chroot

I purchased a T-Mobile G2 last month. I wanted to root my phone. The easiest tool that I found to my root my phone is Visionary. After that I needed a terminal for that and I found Android terminal emulator. I also downloaded a stage3-armv7a-20110403.tar.bz2 and later on I unpacked it to /mnt/sdcard/gentoo. I also noticed that android mounts the sdcard with option noexec. After this I unpacked the stage3 to /data/gentoo. Now to work with gentoo on my android phone. I have two questions related to it. How to mount sdcard with exec permission and where will I find resolv.conf in android so that I can access network in chroot? Is anyone about this issue? If yes then please help me out.

Re: How to install gentoo on Android chroot

The issue that you have posted looks to be complicated. I am quite unfamiliar with android. I don’t have much knowledge about android. I am not having knowledge about the exec permission related to sdcard. I haven’t encountered such issues before. No one else had discussed such issue before with me. I haven’t used android phones this can be reason I am not having enough knowledge about android. The suggestions that you need to resolve your issue won’t be provided by me. May be someone else can overcome your issue.

This is quite an interesting issue that you have posted. I am having enough knowledge about android that can be useful to overcome your issue. I know the exact solution for the question related to resolv.conf that you have posted. There is a tool in android called getprop. This tool reads the various configuration settings including DNS addresses. You just need to download this tool and after that add the name server line to Gentoo’s resolv.conf and synchronize the portage. After performing all the steps I stated you issue related to resolv.conf will be solved. I am not aware about the options to mount the sdcard. I will to find it as early as possible and will surely inform you about it.

To mount sdcard with exec permission is not complicated. As you don’t have much knowledge about android phones that can be reason you are not able mount the sdcard. I will surely try to help you as much as I can. I will try to give provide you with a easier solution to overcome your issue. To overcome your issue at this point you just need to do is mount -o remount,rw,exec /mnt/sdcard. After you perform these things you will be able to mount sdcard. Finally format the sdcard to ext3 then mount the partition to /mnt/gentoo. Now you will be able to work with gentoo on your android phone.

I am grateful to you for all the suggestions that you have given me to overcome the issue. I performed all the steps that were specified by you and now I am able to use gentoo OS on my android phone. But now I am stuck up with another issue. It looks like within the chroot some programs are resolving the domain names properly but others are not doing so. For an instance rsync seems to be working fine but wget is not working as it supposed to work. It is displaying an error for resolving names for the different gentoo mirrors. Ping is also working fine. Are you aware about this issue? If yes then please help me out.

Your issue is that wget is not resolving DNS, this issue can be due to some internal errors in your android phone. This issue is due to the options in make.conf not configured properly. Resolving such issues is not a complicated task but you are not having enough knowledge about android phones that is the reason you are facing such issues complicated. To solve the issue I would recommend you to disable //edit:userfetch in features. Once you disable this option you won’t face the issue related to resolving DNS again. Try this out and inform me about the final result.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and responses that you have given me to overcome the issue. I performed all the steps and procedure that was specified by you. I came to know the exact cause of the issue and it has been resolved now. Previously I had discussed this issue with my colleagues but unfortunately they were not aware about such issues so they were unable to help me out. Without your help and support it was impossible for me to overcome this issue.