Thread: How to transfer the data files while switching from Windows to Suse Linux?

How to transfer the data files while switching from Windows to Suse Linux?

I am switching from windows to Linux, basically I am switching to suse linux. So my question is quite simple how to transfer files from windows to Linux? Well should I leave it to the ntfs partition or should I copy in to any external stuff and then copy it back. I know this is a very simple question for you all but I need some help on it so please do suggest me some steps for the solution I am waiting for your response so do reply fast ok.

Re: How to transfer the data files while switching from Windows to Suse Linux?

According to me it would be a wise decision to leave the ntfs partition with the hard disk only so that’s what I think would be a better option for you. It would be very much easy for you to get an easy access to the files during the Linux installation see if they are spreadsheet data you can access them from open office you can save them by opening them and saving it with the new name, so that’s one more cool option. Also you can keep the ntfs partition as a kind of back up for all the files so that’s one more benefit that you can take advantage of so hope that was enough for you.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you are thinking of dual booting the system then you must better settle with the ntfs partition in the system and if you are thinking of going with the Linux system only then I suggest you to not use the ntfs partition that, it is not that Linux has no access over the ntfs partition but on the later stages it will give you some problem that needs only windows to fix the problem, I think must be avoidable. So you must take care of that also. So best option I think is to keep a backup of the data in the external hard disk of the system, so that’s a better option I think.

Ok I have never ever had any problem with the ntfs partition in my system so that’s my experience and hence I have shared my experience, ntfs partition has never given me any issues wit the recognizing of the file and also with the sharing of the file so that’s what I want to say here hope you all have got the necessary solution for the problem, see it is always better to opt for the back up with the external hard drive but it is a time consuming option if you select the external hard disk transfer of files.

Since you are storing the data only, no application or operating system, you will have less space to copy the data and then delete the partition of Microsoft. And then install Linux. Note that the newer distributions use ext4 as default file system that is not accessible from Windows. Better choose ext3 as your file system during installation. that will be of good help for you so that's what i am saying here hope this suggestion helps you to some extent.

Yes I totally agree with you that windows always sucks. windows is usually blind to the Linux partitions. Unless some employers make proper drivers to do the job. It is true that you can access files on Linux, and even change the windows. If you use a proper (windows) and publisher of this is the case with ext3 FS. On the other hand, why should you use windows to do the job, because they have a Linux system to do better? Ext4 can be better, but I have not had any problems with ext2/3.So, which you use depends on personal choice. Ext4 is fine if you only use Linux. And probably an adequate window ext4 driver will come soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone I have now got the perfect solution for you all basically I am not thinking to switch with the dual booting I am basically thinking of settling with the linux only system and not thinking of dual booting so I will better try with the ntfs partition and see how does that work so lets hope for the best thanks for adding the efforts here that really helped me a lot.