Thread: What is page file, is it useful ?

What is page file, is it useful ?

Hey hi guys, I have some doubts regarding the page file in the operating system, I am currently using the window XP and really it is at the worst condition I have ever seen, I had format it last week only, but still its running too slow, but once my friend told me about the page files to set, will it be helpful, and my configuration is not that much good, because the laptops I have, that I bought two years back, I don’t even know what is page files, how do I set the values for that? badly need advice. Thanks.

re: What is page file, is it useful ?

Yeah you are right brother, page files are very much important factor while we don’t have good enough hardware, you but if you have a good memory then the processor won’t be rely on the page file, see, when they are been used actually, when the memory usage went significantly till 75-80%. Otherwise, the memory will handle all application even they uses the highest amount of memory, but as you have said, I would recommend you to set more amount for page files.

See, the page files are the concept used for the memory allocation to the particular applications, you should always set the proper amount of page file after formatting, but as you don’t know anything about it, I would first suggest you to visit any website and have a proper knowledge about it. Then you’ll get the proper idea about page files and the actual usage of the page files, i mean to say you’ll get the proper idea that how much amount you have to set for laptop.

The paging file is the area on the hard disk that Windows uses from the actual hard drive only as if it were random access memory (RAM) This is also known as virtual memory. By default, Windows stores this file on the same partition where it belongs as the Windows system files, and it is use to enhance the performance of the machine, In fact I would suggest you to set the amount always little bit higher than the system recommended.

As you have mentioned that you have windows XP, but I would say whatever windows you use from Microsoft family only, each of have the same method to set the virtual memory, see you can do that by following certain steps, first of all right click on the my computer and select properties, and the window will appear called system property, in that select the advanced tab among the mentioned one. There you’ll find the frame called performance, in that click on the button setting, thier performance option window will appear, again select the advanced tab from it. And you’ll find the frame for virtual memory, and the click on the change button. and set the values. I am sure you’ll get the difference after changing this settings.

I’d say you have got the right solution, paging is the concept or rather I’d say it is the art of managing the computer memory, it allows the physical address space of a process to be non-contiguous, since the concept page file is came memory allocation and the fragmentation became more easier and more effective, I’d suggest you to set more amount of virtual memory than the recommended. You’ll surely find the difference in the performance.

Re: What is page file, is it useful ?

I am wondering that you are not aware about this function of windows , but it is too good, I have a very good configured PC right now, but when it wasn’t I was always use to use the page allocation only to increase the performance of the system. And if you want to know about the paging concept, rather I would say, you should know something about this, you can refer to some websites, where they have very good explanation, with all the steps to perform it actually.