Thread: I am getting an error unable to open password file on ubuntu

I am getting an error unable to open password file on ubuntu

I can not assign a password directly when creating a user. I have number of system running on Linux. Now the latest operating system is ubuntu in Linux series. At first I tried to create some account which created issue at the time of login. I tried to logged in the system via login account but the password is found as unusable. It is not at all taking my password. I need help for the same how to fix it. Can I configure the same directly from the password file. If yes then how to do that.

Re: I am getting an error unable to open password file on ubuntu

It is right that you must know about user management in Linux when several people have access to a system. It is necessary that the system administrator manages users. For this, the common commands and files to configure must be known. The files are important to know are / etc / passwd and / etc / group. This are the file locations where the first one is the password file. When there is some issue with the file you get those errors. You can simply configure this from the terminal and sort the issue out.

Passwd contains all information about users which consist of login and password. Only the superuser which also knows as root needs to change. So it is here necessary therefore to alter the rights of this file so that it is read-only for other users. This file has a special format to identify each user. To understand your issue you must first learn about the passwd file. There are around 7 fields which are separated. Those are name, password, the integer that identifies the user, the integer that identifies the user's group , comment on which one can retrieve information, the login directory and the command executed after connecting.

It is important to know that the passwords are located in a encrypted file. There is no need to edit it and replace the password field directly by typing the password, it would simply lead to blocking of the account. When a user logs in, the login program compares the password typed by the user (after having encrypted) to that in the passwd file. If they are different, the connection can be established. To prohibit the use, simply replace the encrypted password with an asterisk.

You can directly access an account eventually leaving the password field blank. This is just like an guest account where user can use your system. Anyone wanting to connect with that account may do so. To change the password of an account with the passwd command must be either system administrator or account owner. The system will then ask the user to enter the old password before asking to enter 2 times the new password.

UID is an kind of an unique id of each user account. The numbers from 0 to 99 are often reserved for accounts specific to the machine. Then comes the GID which is also called as Group ID. The default group is number 50. This identifier is used in connection with the rights of access to files. This question does concern you if your system has more than one user group. You will have to worry about the file / etc / group. So in that way the psswd file work.