Thread: I have some problem with MergeList in Ubuntu

I have some problem with MergeList in Ubuntu

I had to 8.04 from last version and it was working fine. All done well from downloading new programs to running updates. There was no issue. But yesterday I had seen that some sort of a bug in the update manager. I got a error report of saying to report the bug and I clicked on yes for the same. The error was related to some MergeList. When I try to to update I got the same error from the update manager. It just give a error at while reading package list. This is a serious flaw in its software management system.

Re: I have some problem with MergeList in Ubuntu

That looks like an kind of a serious bugs in the system. I did not encountered the same when just for testing purpose I updated my Linux version. Please check for broken packages with synaptic. I will advice you to check the permissions and correctness of the file / etc / apt / sources.list. This the place where programs are listed and do not forget to reload the software information with: sudo apt-get update and sudo apt -get install-f. Try some of this and then check back.

Here is some solution that can help you. For that start nautilus with root. This is where you are going to do some modifications at the root level so you must not run this on temporary permission. Then go in Applications > Accessories > Terminal. In that type : sudo nautilus. Now in Nautilus press Control + H. Look for / Var / lib / dpkg /. Locate the file and rename it to status.res status. Here status-seeking old file and rename it to status. Close everything and try. Do not delete the file status or you will lose the ability to install applications altogether.

I guess my problem is quiet similar here. I had also used the search function but could not really work on my version which are usable for me. I am unfortunately a complete Linux newbie and does has a lot of background knowledge on this. The problem here is that I had tried to update my laptop first. Then I had installed a fan control tool which worked fine. Then after two days back I had run software update and after that I started getting this error.

This bug caused that could not run the apt-get update, nor the Synaptic, or even install new applications from the console. After searching in forums and discussion lists on Ubuntu and Debian, I found several solutions, however, only one worked for me. I share with you if someone were to have the same problem. To fix the same you will need to remove all traces of error. For that you will need to pass error: sudo rm / var / lib / apt / lists / *-vf. And then run update, to see that everything works correctly : sudo apt-get update.