Thread: I want to format my Ntfs drive to Ext3

I want to format my Ntfs drive to Ext3

I am going t install a new hard drive on my ubuntu system. This will be the secondary drive for data backup. I want to use this for my linux system now and now I am confuse between the partition format. Does I should leave that with Ntfs or format it to ext3. NTFS conversion to ext3 is safe and avoid data loss. In short will this conversion to Linux is easy to manage or not. I will switch back to windows after sometime and I know that in this ext3 will create issue for data transfer.

Re: I want to format my Ntfs drive to Ext3

If you are working on Linux then NTFS under Linux can create a performance issue?. And writing to NTFS today is quiet safe. You do not need to worry about the data loss in any of transformation. File systems can be created on any block device, including the main memory as a RAM disk. Why not FAT32/VFAT. These can both operating systems and you have to install any drivers and you mess with the safety and performance.

From my personal experience, last year I had a problem copying a file on my Linux partition to NTFS. For that I had installed the NTFS-3g driver and the problem is that the file looked very slow while copying. When looking at the NTFS partition I tried to do it again and then I copied it without problems. From my point of view I have never read nor written a ext3 partition from Windows. I suggest you create a FAT32 partition for file sharing.

My concern is that I want to create an extra data partition. And because the files are supposed to be stored as safely as possible. One possibility would be to use the Linux system as a file server. So in that case it really does matter what can be the file system we will be going to use for data security. There is an possibility s to operate both parallel computers, each computer has a secure data partition which I find it less efficient.

Ext3 and NTFS are two file systems each with their advantages and disadvantages. So the choice depends primarily on what you want to do with. But from the moment you working with Linux, it would really have very good reasons to put a partition in NTFS. In addition, file systems like / or / home, can not use a file system windows because no management rights in unix.

According to me the two file systems are completely different in structure and functionality. The ext3 file system, ext4 are more integrated with the Linux kernel since from the beginning had the support while the NTFS file system is a Microsoft file system and a closed-top format. EXT4 is a lot safer, I am also an NTFS disk to migrate to ext4, and I do not use more windows, and when this is an error perform a fsck is quite complicated and must be done with livecd in my case.