Thread: What is logical memory in computer refers to

What is logical memory in computer refers to

I had heard a many time about logical memory in a system. I found it a bit difficult to understand. The thing which I came to know is that is somewhat related to the system ram and the working of the same is defined under the same. How does this works. I need some basic understanding of working on a ram in a system. What I know that the higher the size of ram is the higher your system works in speed and performance. As an learning person, the calculation goes out of my mind. Can anyone explain me the same in an much simple way.

Re: What is logical memory in computer refers to

Current processes are stored in a memory. The more you have, the more processes can run simultaneously. 2GB is sufficient in most cases. All whatever you run, those processes are stored in the ram and initiates smooth performance of your system. I do not much on that, but what I understand that a ram provides an system an option to store data temporarily on the stick and perform various operations. You can add up more to increase up your performance and give a better output.

What I found that there are two kinds of principles memory architecture. The first is the Harvard and Neumann architecture. The main memory is called as Neumann program memory where the data is stored. The administration is completely taken over by the processor in this and has no control over where data is stored. Some viruses can easily exploit it and destroy the ram to an extent. In this process the program is loaded into the memory and executed. All data thereby also stored in the RAM and only when everything is done and when the program is terminated all the backup on the ram is washed out.

There are two types of ram in which first one is Dynamic memories which called as DRAMs. It is inexpensive. They are mainly used for the main memory of the computer. The other type of ram is static memory which is also called as SRAM. This type of ram is fast and expensive. SRAMs are used in particular for memory cache processor. The RAM is composed of hundreds of thousands of small condensers storing charges. When loaded, the logical state of the capacitor is equal to 1, otherwise it is 0, meaning that each capacitor represents a bit of memory.

Each memory cell is characterized by an address corresponding to a line number and a column number. This access is not instantaneous and takes place during a period known as latency. Therefore access to data in memory lasts a time equal to the cycle time which must be added latency. Thus, for a DRAM-type memory, the access time is 60 nanoseconds. a computer, cycle time is the inverse of the frequency of the clock, for example a computer running at 200 MHz, the cycle time is 5ns.

There are many advantages to a virtual memory. Firstly, it marks the separation of physical memory and logic. When there is virtual memory available, programmers can have a very large logical memory available to them, even as there is a physical memory of very small size. The concept of virtual memory also frees the programmer. The programmer does not need to worry about the constraints on the size of physical memory on each computer that will use its program. He or she can better concentrate on program logic.