Thread: Poor graphics after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04

Poor graphics after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04

I purchased a laptop last month. The operating system installed in it is Ubuntu 10.10. I up-graded the OS to Ubuntu 11.04. But after up-gradation I came across a strange issue. In 10.10 I had no issues while I was using desktop effects with compiz. But after up-gradation I am not able to use even the most basic desktop effects. The only way to work is by using Ubuntu Classic mode with no effects. If I log in the mode Ubuntu or Ubuntu Classic with effects then the screen starts blinking and it doesn’t allow to me see the menu. Sometimes it gets stuck up at the upper panel without any minimize, maximize and close buttons. Is anyone aware about such issue? If yes then please do the needful.

Re: Poor graphics after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04

The issue that you have posted is quite interesting. There can several reasons for this issue. It is very difficult to find its exact cause. I am not aware about such issues. I am having Windows XP in my system and I haven’t encountered such issues before. I won’t be able to give you my suggestions to overcome the issue. The reason for this is that no one else has discussed this issue before with me. So this is the first time I came to know about such issues.

After I read your post I came to know about this issue. This issue can be due to some internal errors in your Laptop. I think these errors occurred after you up-graded your operating system to the latest version. This issue can be due to some problems in graphics drivers. To overcome the issue I would recommend you to install the graphics driver again. Ubuntu runs unity so you need to install 3D driver support. Try this installation and inform me about the consequences.

Thanks for all the responses that you have given me to overcome my issue. I installed the Graphic driver that you specified but the issue remained the same as it was before. Still I was not able to use the desktop effects. I use an Intel onboard video output and the driver for it is already included in the kernel. I think the problem is due to the limited video capabilities of hardware on the computer, but the thing that is confusing me is that I was able to use all the effects before making the upgrade. If you are aware about some other solution then please let me know about it.

The issue that you are facing is complicated. Only a professional person having complete knowledge about Ubuntu OS can easily overcome your issue. I am not much proficient with Compiz or advanced graphics. I run Icewn, FluxBox and E17 for desktop. I haven’t faced such issues before. According to me to overcome the issue you need to uninstall Unity on the older gear. After uninstalling Unity I think you won’t face graphic issues again. Try this out and inform me about the final result.

I am very grateful to you for all the suggestions that you gave me to solve my issue. I uninstalled unity as you specified but nothing worked out. Graphics problem was still occurring. I also discussed this issue with my colleagues but they are not having any knowledge about it. I tried a lot to overcome this issue but failed to do that. If you get the exact solution from any of your sources then please let me know about it. I will still try to overcome it if I can.