Thread: No Disk Space available after interrupting Disk Utility on Mac OS X

No Disk Space available after interrupting Disk Utility on Mac OS X

I am having Macbook pro which clocks at 2.33 GHz as it is having core 2 duo and also I am having Mac OS X as my operating system on my laptop. I was doing a general feature of performing disk utility in order to free up space on my hard disk. But this time I got problem doing Disk utility because I ended up disk utility program in between which caused a major problem saying that my hard disk is having zero KB of free space. I am scared whether all my data haven’t got lost and I don’t want to reinstall the OS again. So help me out.

Re: No Disk Space available after interrupting Disk Utility on Mac OS X

You have used disk utility in order to free up space from your disk, but this time when you tried disk utility it ended up saying that there is no free space available on your disk. I guess because of this error you might not able to start your laptop. The problem is cause because the Disk utility has been interrupted in between and which led with zero free space. You should have waited for the process to complete in order to have your laptop working properly

You are right at the point that all this is happened because disk utility process has not been finished properly. Whenever you start this utility then it creates a large sparse image files in your current directory. After the process completes it removes the image files using srm tool. So as you terminated the process that image file is left on your directory and it is consuming whole space and therefore you got the no free space message on your laptop.

You are not able to get the disk space because it is consumed by other files and therefore your disk says you that there is not free space available. So just have a look at your trash and check whether it is full. I guess it would be having more files and as trash contains the files which are not needed so just remove these files from there and just check whether you are getting some amount of space on your disk. I guess it should work.

I have found out the way so that you could delete these image files from your laptop and get back your free space. For that you need to go to temporary items folder from library and there you would find all the sparse image files, so just remove them from that directory and you would get back your all disk space. After this run the disk utility program again and then let it to finish it properly so that you don’t have same problem again on your laptop.