Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Ext2 vs ReiserFS vs Ext3

Operating Systems

Old 24-05-2011

Ext2 vs ReiserFS vs Ext3

Hello friends. I will be partitioning a empty additional 1TB drive for little *Nix'es. Firstly,I believe, I will install 2 of Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSolaris or FreeBSD .I will further be questioned by Acronis Disk Director Suite what format to make the partition. amongst the alternatives are Ext2, Ext3 and ReiserFS.Friends, let me know which one should I opt for along with the pros and the cons and uses of each of them. Thanks in advance for the help as I really appreciate it.

Old 24-05-2011

Re: Ext2 vs ReiserFS vs Ext3

Individually I have made use of reiser for some time now and it has not failed on me. I think this is merely about flavor, both ext3 and reiser execute well on standard use. The dissimilarity reveals on heavy fs practice, for instance handling very great files otherwise a enormous count of diminutive files. ext2 is kind of out of count in view of the fact that it does not have journaling. I would in addition like to ring a bell to you that you ought to be proficient to reformat the partitions from the installer when installing every Operating System.
Old 24-05-2011

I would like to notify you that Reiser and ext3 or in that case ext4 are all journaling file systems. The ext2 file system is ext3 devoid of journaling. If you are making use of the drive for multimedia files, be it audio or video read then ext2 is your most excellent alternative in view of the fact that the journaling of ext3 can lead to performance worries when writing those large media files.I have shared whatever I was aware off, I wish that it helps you. Take Care.
Old 24-05-2011

Hey dude. I am fine and going well. I would like to say something regarding the discussion going on, In case you are doing a lot of read, write updates then ext3, ext4, or reiser are your enhanced selections for the reason that the journaling will assist defend from data loss conditioned that the system smashes at the same time as writing information previous to it gets flushed from write-ahead cache to physical disc. I myself have used Reiser file systems with accomplishment before. It is superior performing in general compared to ext2 to ext3.
Old 24-05-2011

The ext4 file system is believed to move towards Reiser in the performance department. On the other hand, it is very novel and there are a numerous of intend discussions going on as to how secure it actually is in view of the fact that it alters the order of writing the file system metadata and definite file information to the disc from ext3, which can be challenging under a number of circumstances. Consequently, if protection and performance of handling little to mediocre size files is serious, then I suggest Reiser4.
Old 24-05-2011

Hello. I would like to tell you that If compatibility with the major number of novel and older Linux systems is significant ,on a portable external drive, for instance, or you are going to make use of it first and foremost for streaming media, subsequently I advocate ext2. For common system usage, ext3 is a superior alternative. I use ext2 and ext3 above all myself, however I did use Reiser too and it does not lead to any worries, despite the fact that I have to say I use my current systems much additionally intensive than the ones I had reiser on.
Old 25-05-2011

Hey buddy, seems that looking at the above replies you have got sufficient information that you were looking for. Well, on a personal front, I would like to tell you that I would surely, without any doubts carry on and stick with ext3 for the reason that it has been healthily demonstrated at the same time as a good quality alternative over the years, and it for all time works really nice as per my requirements.In the end depends on you, though I have given my opinion to you.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , , ,