Thread: Best Linux Distribution for Asus N61JV Notebook and DSL-G31 Wireless ADSL Modem Router

Best Linux Distribution for Asus N61JV Notebook and DSL-G31 Wireless ADSL Modem Router

Recently I have bought an ASUS N61Jv x64-based notebook for my personal usage. This notebook is running with Intel Core i5 microprocessor M 450 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 MHz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical CPU(s)]. Along with this product I have also bought the ASUS DSL-G31 Wireless ADSL Modem Router in order to connect to the internet and for some other purpose. This notebook is previously comes with Windows installed but I am big fan Linux. So I want to install in it. So can anybody tell me which Linux distribution is the best choice for this system as well as for this modem router?

Re: Best Linux Distribution for Asus N61JV Notebook and DSL-G31 Wireless ADSL Modem Router

In my opinion I don't be familiar with whatever thing regarding this notebook, excluding if you look about in Linux conversation forums and so on you may discover a few information. Anyway, except you are actually into Linux, knowing your approach about the shell, the compiler and so on., I disbelief there is a superior Linux meant for you than Ubuntu, or else perhaps OpenSuse. The previous gets launched on a half-yearly base, it doesn't obtain much further up to date than that (and being advanced is the major end while it comes toward pre-installed drivers).

Re: Best Linux Distribution for Asus N61JV Notebook and DSL-G31 Wireless ADSL Modem Router

I think that it is really difficult to find the answer for this question. The most excellent Linux distribution for your notebook as well as for that wifi modem router will be the one that contains the majority (if not all) of the drivers intended for the components included in the laptop. Afterward the software selections (IDE, MP3 players and so forth) are obtainable in each and every one of the Linux distributions. By selecting a distro that has an excellent game to your hardware, you save yourself numerous configuration time, seeing as the suitable drivers are loaded during boot.

I have determined not to purchase the ASUS N61 laptop like it appears that there are extremely severe issues by the graphics. The rest is told to function or operate very well, apart from the USB 3.0. Even though NVIDIA cards work very well, one has to be tremendously cautious while it approaches to latest laptops. The ASUS N61, for example makes use of the Optimus technology which is believed to automatically toggle among an NVIDIA plus an Intel processor (as much as I appreciated). Not simply is there no Linux distro support meant for this switching; it still looks like that it's not possible to utilize the NVIDIA graphics card. One would be limited to the Intel graphics.

Laptop distributions approximately drop into the similar class like desktop users, except there are countless key distinctions that create the criterion in favor of comparing a finest laptop distro significant. Power organization, docking utilities, as well as wifi ease-of-use are dangerous to customers on the go, since is having a Linux distro that matches those requirements. Right away, the most excellent laptop distribution is openSUSE, one of the direct competitors for the desktop admirations. This distro is best for handling notebook’s WiFi connectivity, except as well CDMA/cellular modem connections.

I am also using the ASus N61JV presently through Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The whole thing is very well until frustrating to turn on Nvidia drivers. Ubuntu recommends turning on the Nvidia drivers, which goes okay pending you reboot whereby I forever obtain an empty screen.I moreover attempted to install the Linux 64 bit drivers but it prompts me I want to go out the X server in order to install the compatible drivers. Because of these problems I cannot discover anyway to excuse of X and onto a simple command line.

OpenSUSE is the best distribution for notebooks as they mentioned in their website. If you have enough time to download UBUNTU too, just give a try. It gives you an opportunity to run without installing it. I guess you would love the interface of Ubuntu than openSUSE. Ubuntu has the Gnome desktop which looks great while the openSUSE uses the KDE by default. It can have the Gnome too, but not much interesting for me. Anyway, its up to you to select which distribution is suitable for your taste as all Linux distributions are great

• Best Linux Desktop Distribution - Ubuntu.
    • Best Linux Laptop Distribution - openSUSE
    • Best Linux Enterprise Desktop - SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED).
    • Best Linux Enterprise Server - Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES).
    • Best Linux LiveCD - KNOPPIX
    • Best Linux Security-Enhanced Distribution - SELinux or BackTrack Linux
    • Best Linux Multimedia Distribution - Ubuntu Studio

You can also try:
    • Debian
    • Linux Mint
    • Fedora
    • Arch Linux
    • Gentoo Linux